from within a plumbing system, heating system, or . . .

Cholo234

American English
If possible, I would like to find out what "from within a plumbing system, heating system, or domestic appliance" means when used in a homeowner's (insurance) policy that states the insurer's liability to pay "up to the limit of insurance for loss or damage caused by leakage of water from within a plumbing system, heating system or domestic appliance."

"From within" doesn't make either figurative or literal sense to me . . . .

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Cholo234. I think "from within" in this language is just a precise way of saying that the plumbing system, heating system, or domestic appliance is leaking. The writer was trying to make it clear that the water must be coming from the system itself before the insurer will accept liability.

Beware, however. This is not a legal forum. If you want a legally valid opinion about this language, you should call the insurance company or perhaps an attorney.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    It means "from inside", i.e. a leaking pipe lets the water inside it escape. It excludes, therefore water from, say, a leaking roof, that flows along the outside of a pipe and thus causes damage.

Last edited:

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    This is, of course, purely a guess, but I'd say within means that the malfunction occurred inside the system as opposed to having something occur outside the system that caused it to malfunction. So if your plumbing burst and flooded a bathroom, you're covered, but if your plumbing malfunctioned because something went wrong with the town water system that increased the water pressure and caused your plumbing to malfunction, you're not covered. But as I said, that's a guess.

(Cross-posted with Owlman and Paul.)

< Previous | Next >