From X to Y (dates)

Garabatilla

Spanish
Hi everybody,
I would like to know how to write a date of a period of time properly, in a formal document, such as a CV.

I write some examples, please correct them if they are wrong:

From 12nd March to 23rd April
From 12 March to 23 April
From 12nd of March to 23rd of April
From the 12th March to the 23rd of April

I'll wait for your answers,
thank you :)

• owlman5

English-US
    Hello, Garabatilla. I think the best version here would include the article before both dates: From the 12th of March to the 23rd of April.

Garabatilla

Spanish
    Ok, but are all my sentences correct? I mean, is it possible to write the dates that way, or is it incorrect?
    I forget to include the year, in this case, the best option would be
    From the 12th of March to the 23rd of April of 2010
    Is is necessary to write this "of".
    Thank you for your answer Owlman

plinkaplinka

English - English
    12nd is definitely wrong. Twelfth is abbreviated as 12th.

“From 12 March to 23 April” is acceptable, especially in a document with lots of dates in tables, for example a summary list of jobs in a CV.

In real text, as opposed to tables I’d use either “From the 12th of March to the 23rd of April” or “From March the 12th to April the 23rd”. You quite often see “From March 12th to April 23rd” although that sounds American to me.

Another US English term is “From March 12th thru April 23rd” which means that April the 23rd is definitely included. This is very rarely used in UK English (even when “thru” is spelt “through”), as the “to” forms imply this anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

plinkaplinka

English - English
    "From the 12th of March to the 23rd of April of 2010
    Is is necessary to write this "of"."

I don't think I'd ever use that "of"

"From the 12th of March to the 23rd of April 2010" is fine. I have seen a comma after the "April" but I don't think it's necessary.

"From the 12th of March of 2010 to the 23rd of April of 2011" just sounds clumsy "of ... of ... of ...of".

However "In the March of that year" or "In the March of 2009" are ok, although I'd probably still write "In March 2009".

The "March of 2009" construction is in more common usage in US English I think. I'm not in any way meaning to be derogatory here - we just don't quite speak the same language.

< Previous | Next >