from year to year

Discussion in 'Русский (Russian)' started by randomgirl, Jan 12, 2010.

1. randomgirl Senior Member

English - England
    Привет!

How does one say 'The academic year in England begins in September but changes from year to year'?

This is what I have so far:
    Учебный год в Англии начинает в сентябре, но он меняет...

2. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)

3. randomgirl Senior Member

English - England
    Спасибо!!!

4. Q-cumber

Q-cumber Senior Member

Учебный год в Англии начинается в сентябре, но каждый раз (год) в разные дни.

5. vkladchik New Member

English - US
    The original is ambiguous, because the second half of the sentence contradicts the first half. Either the academic year starts in September, or it doesn't and changes from year to year. Perhaps what you mean is: "The academic year in England generally begins in September, but this changes from year to year." Or maybe you mean: "The academic year in England begins in September, but the actual day it starts changes from year to year."

The replies you have gotten have assumed the latter, and made it clearer by adding "date" or "days." So you actually got better-written sentences in Russian than in the original. Now that's added value. ;-)

Either way, another way of translating that last part could be но дата начала меняется зависимо от календарного расположения дней неделя в сентябре соответствующего года (also known as pedantic overkill in English).

6. rusita preciosa

rusita preciosa Modus forendi

USA (Φιλαδέλφεια)
    Russian (Moscow)
    Not only is it overkill, we also do not speak/write like this in Russian.

7. vkladchik New Member

English - US
    Actually, you do write like that in Russian (not the mistakes, of course). The Russian language has a rich history of bureaucratic overkill, which is what I was lampooning.

8. The correct translation of the original sentence into Russian is "Учебный год в Англии начинается в сентябре, но точное время начала/дата начала меняется из года в год". Although I have written that I have translated the sentence correctly, actually the version suggested is not the one literal. I am a little bit confused about the second part of the English sentence. It most likely means exactly what we all consider it to mean, but nevertheless it is somewhat ambiguous. The general meaning is that September is the time when students and pupils start attending their educational institutions, but a particular date when classes, lessons and lectures begin depends on the year. For example, if September, 1 is Saturday or Sunday then the first school day will be adjourned to the first weekday. Thus, my English version is

'The academic year in England begins in September but the exact day when studies begin varies/alters/changes from year to year'