from

< Previous | Next >

Masha*

Russia: Russian
Hello

The book of Melissa Jacobs begins with the speech at a Sorority League Leadership Conference at the University of Pennsylvania. These are the opening lines:

“Your generation reaps the benefits of the generations which came before you. When I graduated from this university in the 1960s, my diploma was from the College of Women. From that time to this, women have broken ceilings and soared to the skies.”

What does it mean “my diploma was from the College of Women” if she graduated from the University of Pennsylvania?

Thank you in advance

• szqny

English
    Universities (in the US at least) often are divided into smaller colleges, which could also be called departments. The entire organization is called the University, but within the University might be the "College of Arts and Sciences", the "College of Nursing", etc. So the "College of Women" was a college within the bigger organization of the University of Pennsylvania. (And FYI, there are still women's colleges (and mens colleges) today; whether that's good or bad is a discussion for some other forum!)

Masha*

Russia: Russian
    Thank you very much, szqny. But what' the purport of the author's utterance? Does she mean to say that in 1960s women could write diploma papers only in women colleges and thus had their rights infringed upon?
    Thank you

szqny

English
    Yes, it seems to me that that is her intent, to say that in the 1960s women's accomplishments were labelled as those of women, that now women have broken through and soared in areas that weren't possible in the 1960s.

< Previous | Next >