front door?

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
Suppose the door in the picture is the front entrance door, what do you call this part of the house? Is there a specific term for that part? Would you simply use "at the front door", as in "The house owner greets the guest at the front door and asks him to take off the shoes."?

• waltern

English - USA
    The word "foyer" is sometimes used, though I think usually only in larger houses where the entry area is itself room-sized.

Giorgio Spizzi

Italian
    Maybe I'd get rid of the definite article in "the shoes": that done, I'd insert a possessive adjective between "off" and "shoes". :)

GS

JustKate

Moderate Mod
    "Front door" works for me, but "front hall" would work, too. We have a smaller area like that in front of our front door (it's wide enough for a coat closet on one side and a linen closet on the other), and we call that a "front hall."

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thank you. Front door is good, but do you tend to assume people are inside the house when someone says they are "at the front door"? Are you still at the front door if you are a few steps outside the doorway?

ewie

English English
    I generally wait until guests are in the hall(way) before asking them to take their shoes off. (Or I would if I asked guests to do that.)

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    Thank you. Front door is good, but do you tend to assume people are inside the house when someone says they are "at the front door"? Are you still at the front door if you are a few steps outside the doorway?
    Guests waiting "at the front door" would be outside. However, if I said the house owner was "at the front door" it would likely mean that they were on the inside of the front door.

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    Where I come from, the part in your picture, redgiant, is called the hall ... "Hang your coat in the hall", "I've left my suitcase in the hall", ...

I once lived in a house where the water heater was in the hall cupboard. One day it leaked all over the hall carpet.

Ws:)

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thanks for the insights, I really appreciate it.
    Is that part in my picture too small to be a hall? It looks like it couldn't accommodate a shoe rack without jamming the door open.

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    I know a family with four kids. They're told to leave their shoes in the hall when they come in. It's about the same size as the one in your picture, rg, so there's no shoe-rack. Needless to say, the hall floor is like an obstacle course ... but it's still a hall.

Ws:)

redgiant

Cantonese, Hong Kong
    Thank you Wordsmyth, Keith and heypresto. I came up with a picture of a sexual organ when searching for "Vestibule" under Google images. But I guess "a large entrance or reception room or area" is still the dominant, well-known interpretation of the word for most people.

< Previous | Next >