'front' me the cash

• amateurr

Russian
    <Since this continues the discussion about the phrase "front me the cash", the two threads have been merged.>

Could you tell me why I can't find the definition of the word "front" meaning "loan"? I mean is it used as a slang or what?

"I need you to front me the cash. I'm out"

Re: "It means "loan". You give me the money "up front" and I'll pay you back."

Last edited by a moderator:

pitseleh

USA, English
    Yes, you're right, it's slang, and I think it's urban slang. This is not slang little kids living in the suburbs would use.

Look here: http://onlineslangdictionary.com/definition+of/front :

verb
    to give someone something of value, expecting that they will compensate you later, as they can't right now.
    I'll front you the money if you'll buy me those tickets.​
    Could you front me the drugs and I'll pay you back later?​

Nunty

Hebrew-US English (bilingual)
    You might have more luck looking at front as the verb lend. However, it is American slang, so may not appear in all dictionaries. (*)

(*) I assume it's American. I don't know if it's used this way in BE.

pitseleh

USA, English
    The Merriam-Webster dictionary does not list "front" as a verb.

Dictionary.com provides the following definitions for "to front":

-to have the front toward; face: Our house fronts the lake.

-to meet face to face; confront.

-to face in opposition, hostility, or defiance.

-to furnish or supply a front to: to front a building with sandstone.
    -to serve as a front to: A long, sloping lawn fronted their house.

-Informal. to provide an introduction to; introduce: a recorded message that is fronted with a singing commercial.
    -to lead (a jazz or dance band).

-Phonetics. to articulate (a speech sound) at a position farther front in the mouth.

-Linguistics. to move (a constituent) to the beginning of a clause or sentence.

You'll note none of these definitions correspond to how this thread uses "to front."

It is therefore incorrect to say that "EVERYONE" uses this term. It is safe to say your average 5-year-old does not know what it means to front something, because most young children do not know street slang. It is equally safe to say that your 85-year-old grandmother does not know what it means, either.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >