1. The forums will be closed for a major forum upgrade for around 2-4 hours on Sunday, starting around noon US Eastern Time (GMT -4, 18:00 in most of Europe). Details
    Dismiss Notice

front pages of a book / front matter

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Albert Schlef, May 9, 2014.

  1. Albert Schlef Senior Member

    Books have a few pages at the font that contain some "bureaucratic" details, like title, copyright notices, dedication, etc.

    How do you call such a page?

    For example, somebody shows me a page and I identify as a "front" page torn form a book. Do I say, "it's a front page of a book"? How do I say this?

    I googled a bit and discovered that these pages are known as "front matter".

    But how do I use this in a sentence? "This page is a front matter"?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 9, 2014
  2. Glenfarclas Senior Member

    English (American)
    "This is the title page of a book."
    "This is the copyright page of a book."
    "This is a frontispiece from a book."
    Correct, but awkward: "This is a page from the front matter of a book."

Share This Page