frozen food chilled food

< Previous | Next >

babi55

Italian - Italy
Hi, I looked at the dictionary but I didn't fond any revelant discussion. I'm translating a paragraph concerning pros and cons of frozen food and chilled food (the latter mainly ready food). Could someone tell me the difference between the two kinds? Thanks a lot

• Hau Ruck

English - U.S.
    Frozen food is actually frozen. Chilled foods are just really cold.

A frozen pizza would be frozen and not readily edible at that moment.
    A chilled platter of vegetables would be edible and just very cold.

sdgraham

USA English
    If you mean "ready food" (not a natural expression) means "ready to eat," the difference should be self-explanatory since, unless you're talking about iced cream, you don't eat frozen food without first thawing it.

pwmeek

English - American
    In English (at least AE) "refrigerated food" would be likelier than "chilled food". However "chilled food" may be preferred in technical writing in the food industry.

babi55

Italian - Italy
    thans to everybody, after reading your entries I think the author refers to cooked food which is sold cold (or chilled) Thanks again :)

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Chilled food in the UK means prepared food which should be kept below 8C. The shops refer to it as chilled food. Prepared food includes ready cooked or ready-to-be cooked without further preparation, or prepared but not needing cooking and eaten as is. Some sorts can be kept several days or very often can be frozen. Other items have been chilled after preparation and should be kept chilled and eaten within a day, or two. My frig is below 8C anyway, so everything is kept that cold whether it needs to be or not.

Google can be used to find this sort of information.

Hermione

Hermione Golightly

British English
    author refers to cooked food which is sold cold (or chilled)
    Nope, not always pre- cooked food, not properly speaking, although I have no idea what the author is referrring to, but yes to it being sold chilled. Food which has to be kept chilled isn't always cooked. Some might be raw but is ready to be cooked without further preparation. I quite often buy prepared food of this sort especially meat joints with stuffing and seasoning because it's a huge economy of time for me and often with special ingredients that I wouldn't usually keep to hand since I am cooking only for two. Some might be raw and meant to be eaten raw, such as sushi or prepared fruits. Some might have been suffiiciently cooked already and only need thorough rapid heating up, but only because they are eaten hot not cold.

There's a difference between chilled and simply cold, straight out of a frige which might be more than 8C, I suppose, although mine isn't.

( I forget how this word 'frig' works, so I need to check it out! :))

Hermione

< Previous | Next >