Frozen turkey bowling

Discussion in 'English Only' started by october15, Apr 1, 2008.

1. october15

october15 Senior Member

Lisbon
    Portugal-Portuguese
    Dear Friends,

American slang à la Christopher Moore:

I suppose turkey bowling means go out at night to pick up girls, randomly, so to speak.

But what's frozen turkey bowling?

Context: Acknowledgements: (...) and, of course, to Charlee Rodgers, for putting up the frozen turkey bowling.

I really need some help here.

october15

2. october15

october15 Senior Member

Lisbon
    Portugal-Portuguese
    Now I see there's the actual sport!!!!:cool:

And I'm even more confused, might be he was actually referring to it. Fact is there is a Las Vegas prostitute involved, for that reason I thought my first interpretation could be the correct one.

I could never immagine bowling with a turkey leg.:)

october15

3. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

The City of New York
    USA - English
    One would not bowl with only a turkey leg. One would bowl with a whole frozen turkey. A turkey, packed in a wrapper and frozen solid, is certainly as hard and as heavy as a bowling ball, and is somewhat rounded in shape.

4. Pantalaimon

Pantalaimon Member

UK English.
    But wouldn't it be very difficult to be accurate with a turkey? They are somewhat rounded, but hardly enough to roll in a straight line. And they would only be hard at the beginning of the evening; bowling alleys are notoriously warm.

5. GreenWhiteBlue

GreenWhiteBlue Senior Member

The City of New York
    USA - English
    Bowling alleys may be notoriously warm, but frozen turkeys take a notoriously long time to thaw. One also would probably not spend the whole evening bowling with the bird. As for accuracy, I suppose a frozen turkey used as a bowling ball

<Unapproved video links are no longer allowed in the forum.>

is not all that less accurate than a human being used as a bowling ball...

<Unapproved video links are no longer allowed in the forum.>

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2010
  6. october15

october15 Senior Member

Lisbon
    Portugal-Portuguese
    Ok. I know what turkey bowling is.
    Now: Do you guys use it in the US as a slang methaphore, meaning: to go out chacing random girls?
    It makes sense. When you throw the turkey you don't know how many or which pins you going to strike.

Christopher Moore uses strange metaphores, some of which do not even belong in the common slang. There's often the need to interpret them.

Here's another context: Even worse, Tommy's erstwhile trukey-bowling pals are out to get him, at the urging of a blue-dyed Las Vegas call girl named Blue.

The character is a nighteen-year-old-boy, a nightimer. I don't think he is referring to actual turkey-bowling...

Anyone?

october15

7. october15

october15 Senior Member

Lisbon
    Portugal-Portuguese
    OK...

Weird. eh eh

Thanks a lot.

october15

8. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Turkey bowling is almost as romantic as tremoço* shell spitting.

*In deference to the monolingual limitations of this forum, that's lupini beans.

9. october15

october15 Senior Member

Lisbon
    Portugal-Portuguese
    LOL

You're absolutely right. I might have found a solution, that's more legible for portuguese. Not exactly the "tremoço" yet, something close.

Thanks.

october15