fruit loopy / fruity loopy / fruit loop

sun-and-happiness

Croatian
You know how much I like you. I really have a soft spot for you. Please, just trust me. Don't ditch me. I'm fruit loopy about you.

What does fruit loopy mean? Thanks!

• Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    It means "crazy". 'Loopy' is slang for 'insane', and "I'm crazy about you" means "I love you a lot". Fruit Loops are a type of breakfast cereal.

This is just a cute way of saying "I love you".

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Yes, "I'm fruity loopy about you" is just a less common way of saying "I'm crazy about you."

Note that while "loopy" can mean, in informal conversations or contexts, "crazy," the phrase "fruity loopy" or similar variants are far less common. I would not call it idiomatic, though it is understandable in the context cited by the original poster.

Last edited:

PlainandTall

English- American
    I have never heard this phrase in english except for the breakfast cereal (Fruit Loops) but it's meaning is clear as stated above... but the saying is VERY silly- (In the cereal commercials a tropical bird, Toucan Sam, is always searching for the sweet smell of the cereal and the scent, depicted as a rainbow colored path- carries him magicly toward the bowl of cereal) so it shows a lighthearted comical tone/personality of the speaker... a way of saying "I care a lot about you" without getting so heavy as to say "I love you."

Sorry for that mistake bibliopet- now I know.

Last edited:

sun-and-happiness

Croatian
    Is fruity loopy the same of fruit loopy then? And PlainandTall I think you should have written "its" here:
    it's meaning is clear as stated above

bibliolept

AE, Español
    Is fruity loopy the same of fruit loopy then? And PlainandTall I think you should have written "its" here:
    it's meaning is clear as stated above
    As neither "fruit loopy" nor "fruity loopy" is a standard phrase, then I'd say that they have the same meaning.

If I had to guess, I'd say that "fruit loopy" is more "common"—inasmuch as neither phrase is in widespread use as far as I know.

Franzi

(San Francisco) English
    The noun 'fruit loop' used to mean 'crazy person' is quite common in my experience (though perhaps not in the experience of other WR posters). I usually hear it in the context of "S/he is a total fruit loop!" 'Fruit loopy' is the natural way to convert this into an adjective. 'Fruity loopy' makes no sense to me because that sounds like you're calling the person both 'fruity' (homosexual, effeminate, camp, etc.) and 'loopy' rather than adapting 'fruit loop', which is a single term.

Definition 2 at Urban Dictionary has a number of positive votes (as well as plenty of negative ones):
    "I've always used fruit loop to describe someone who was a bit dippy or loopy, in the mad, scatter-brained sense.
    I can't believe you just said that, you fruit loop!"
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=fruit+loop

bibliolept

AE, Español
    "Fruit loop" is a bit cutesy for me, but I agree that it is more common than either "fruity loopy" or "fruit loopy," which are the phrases that I characterized as not idiomatic and not being in widespread use.

("Fruity loopy" makes me think of Chico Marx talking about "Tutsi Frutsi.")

< Previous | Next >