fruit of the loom

< Previous | Next >

spaniardpolo

Spanish (Spain)
Hi,

There is not the first time that I see this expression and it seems to me little complicated to translate it. According to the dictionary 'Loom' is used more as a verb meaning 'avecinarse' or 'surgir'. But squeezing my imagination I am unable to make a correct one.

'Fruto de lo que se avecina' could be one of them ?

Thanks in advance,

SP

• bombadil

English - EEUU
    The meaning of "loom" that you need here is the noun "telar." The expression "fruit of the loom" refers to woven cloth and is used as the name of a brand of underwear.

lanueva

English - USA
    Y creo que también es un juego de palabras. Isn't it playing off the phrase "fruit of the womb"? Like the Bible passage, wasn't it where Mary (pregnant with Jesus) went to visit her cousin Elizabeth (pregnant with John the Baptist), and Elizabeth greeted her with something along the lines of: Blessed art thou among women, and blessed the fruit of thy womb ...

I just went to look it up (biblegateway.com is a wonderful website, by the way -- more translations than I ever knew existed, in an abundance of languages, all searchable and at my fingertips). Turns out "fruit of the/your womb" is sprinkled throughout the Old Testament, even in more modern versions than the King James that comes into my head from childhood. The Spanish seems to usually be "el fruto de tu vientre."

lanueva

English - USA
    ... But squeezing my imagination I am unable to make a correct one. ...
    I missed responding to this in all the discussion about fruit and looms and wombs, but SP, you made me smile! I've never heard anyone say this in English before, así que te tengo que preguntar, ¿qué estabas pensando en español cuando escribiste squeezing my imagination?

:)

spaniardpolo

Spanish (Spain)
    ¡¡Jajajaa, no s !! Supongo que pensé en 'estrujando mi imaginación'. Como si estuviese preparando un jugo de naranja. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >