fruit or fruits in the fruit-bowl?

Discussion in 'English Only' started by Tenacious Learner, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Tenacious Learner

Tenacious Learner Senior Member

Spanish
    Hi teachers,
    If I have a picture of a fruit bowl with different pieces of fruit in it. Let's say, apples, oranges, pears, and bananas.
    Which one is the right sentence?
    a) There is fruit in the fruit-bowl.
    b) There are fruits in the fruit-bowl.
    My attempt:
    I should say, 'There is fruit'. It implies plural; right?

Thanks in advance.

2. vincix

vincix Senior Member

Romanian
    I think the right choice here is b), because it refers to several types of fruit, so you're allowed to use the plural. Just like you're allowed to use "fishes" when you refer to various species :) But when you've got several pieces (not sure of "pieces" :) ) of the same fruit, then fruit doesn't take a plural.

3. Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Hi vincix,
    Thanks for your reply.
    But fruit is an uncountable noun made up of individual parts, isn't it? Therefore it should be 'uncountable'.

TL

4. velisarius

velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    a) 'There is (some) fruit in the fruit-bowl' is better. You are right TL, you need the uncountable noun.

There are already several threads on "fruit/fruits".

5. Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Hi velisarius,
    Thanks for your reply. Is it 'some' absolutely necessary?
    The thing is that on the same page I have drawings of different uncountable nouns: wine, bread, chicken, food, cheese, etc.
    The idea is just to show the students different types of uncountable nous with the question, 'What's there in the drawing?'
    The answer should be, 'There's wine/bread/chicken/food/cheese/etc.' without really specifying the amount or quantity. Is it wrong?
    They haven't even learned the quantity words 'some' or 'any' which are immediately teach after those drawings and drawings with plural countable nouns.

TL

6. velisarius

velisarius Senior Member

Greece
    British English (Sussex)
    The parentheses mean that it's optional, though it sounds rather more natural with "some".

7. Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Hi velisarius,
    Thanks. Point taken!:thumbsup:

TL