fry them well-done

arueng

CHINESE
Stir-fry them well-done and they'll taste softer and sweeter.

Hi,

I grow some snake gourds myself and I'm going to take some to a couple of Mormon missionaries here. The above is how I try to explain to them how to cook them. Does it make sense when I meant to express "stir-fry them long enough so that they'll taste sweeter?" If not, how should I express it? Thanks.

• scrotgrot

English - English
    I'm no culinary wizard but I've only heard well done referring to meat. You can say stir-fry them well to mean for a long time, other than that it is most natural to just say the approximate time they need frying for, for example stir-fry them for about/at least 5 minutes.

KHS

Stir-fry them until they are well-done...

However: it's not clear what "well-done" means with gourds. (With beef, it means until there's no pink left in the color of the interior of the meat.)

Maybe you need to include something more descriptive. How can you tell when they've been cooked long enough?

icecreamsoldier

New Zealand English
    Hi arueng,

You could say "Stir-fry them until they are well-done and they'll be softer and sweeter."
    (something cannot "taste" softer; it is a texture)

I agree with scrotgrot, though. You could also refer to the colour they should be after the appropriate length of cooking, such as "until they are golden/brown/turning black".

arueng

CHINESE
    Thanks, srotgrot, KHS, and icecreamsoldier, for the helpful replies.

I've got it and the following is what I'm going to say to them.

Stir-fry them until they are well-done, that is, their color will change from milky white to light green, so that they'll be softer and taste sweeter.

< Previous | Next >