fucking Ada / Nora

mmishsh

Hebrew, Israel
Hi,

Does anyone know what "Fucking ada" might mean? It appears in the text of British play "History Boys". Seems like a general exclamation, however I am interested to know where it comes from.

Thank you.

• ch01_kelly

spanish
    Hi there.

There is a song by the late Ian Dury called "Fucking Ada". Let's wait for some native to give us some insight.
    Take care.

winklepicker

English (UK)
    Does anyone know what "Fucking ada" might mean? It appears in the text of British play "History Boys". Seems like a general exclamation, however I am interested to know where it comes from.

I'm not sure where it comes from (and Partridge is silent on the subject) but it's quite common in vulgar circles :) - normally with the 'g' dropped "F**kin' Ada!". Ada is a girl's name but I don't think that's material.

It could be a euphemism for f**king a**eholes - though why anyone would want to euphemise the latter instead of the former I can't imagine!

The meaning however is clear: 'Well, I am surprised!' or similar.

matineeidol

English/England
    Yeah I have no idea why it's used, but it is. It's the same thing as f"****ing hell!"

Where I'm from in the UK we use "Nora" too! "F***ing Nora!"

sameasitev

English - England
    I hope I can clear this up. It was in general use when I was a teenager growing up in the East End of London back in the fifties. It was generally pronounced as a sigh of despair, and it was taken to be a last response to someone doing something really stupid. Or it was as statement of utter disbelief when something went wrong.
    A cleaner version would be "I don't believe it".

sameasitev

English - England
    I agree, Ada and Nora were interchangeable. But it was probably down to location. The East End would use Ada, and the remainder of Southern England would use Nora. [Generalization].

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    For what very little it may be worth, there is also an AE version of the exclamation (which I believe has been discussed in one or more threads here): Fuckin' A! I have no idea if the A comes from the BE Ada. In the 1960s I often heard it all shortened to "Kinay!" with strong emphasis on the final syllable. The meaning was the same as in BE.

ewie

English English
    The Cassell Dictionary of Slang (1999) has this to say on the subject:
    Fucking Ada! excl. [20C] a general excl. (cf. FUCKING A!) [the Ada is either a nonsense word or a euphemism for the stronger alternative Fucking arseholes!. Fucking hell! is a softer version; in all these cases the fu may be deliberately abandoned: thus 'Kin' 'ell! etc.]
    Fucking Nora! excl. [1980s+] ... [var. of FUCKING ADA!]
    Fucking A! excl. [1970s+] ... [no etymology given]

Excuse all the 'language'.