fugaze

SophieD

FRANCE - FRENCH
A man says he's hit guys.
Another man says : You never have thrown a punch in your life, East Sixties boy.
Third man : You're a FUGAZE, man.

Could you please tell me what "fugaze" means ?

Thanks.

• foxfirebrand

Southern AE greatly modified by a 1st-generation Scottish-American mother, and growing up abroad.
    A FUGAZI is a totally ineffectual person. It's a Vietnam term, I'm pretty sure an acronym like BOHICA [bend over, here it comes again] or FIGMO [fuck it, I got my orders].

I don't remember the words to the acronym, but I'm reasonably confident the ZI stands for "zipped in," meaning you're in such sorry shape they're sending you home in a body bag.

It was used in much lighter-spirited contexts than all this suggests-- Namvet humor is extremely dark.

I've heard it used to describe how drunk or wasted or oh-deed someone was last night-- "Man, I was completely FUGAZI." Also, it's been years since I heard the expression.

It carried the same horrible-but-comical overtones as "Stick a fork in him, he's done," which of course is a recent and very current expression in AE.

river

U.S. English
    According to Cassell's Dictionary of Slang

adjective (U.S.) 1) [1980s and still in use] euphemism for ‘fucked up’ 2) [1990s] fake, artificial, false [? Italian]

You little ripper!

Australian English
    This is what my Webster's says about "Fugazi".

FUGAZI

Specialty Definition: Fugazi

(From Wikipedia, the free Encyclopedia)
    1. Fugazi were Japanese deserters during World War II.2. Fugazi is the name of an alternative rock band from Washington, D.C.
    3. Fugazi was an American GI slang during the Vietnam war. "Fugazi" is an acronym which stands for "Fucked Up, Got Ambushed, Zipped In." It refers to out-of-control situation such as in a chaotic jungle warfare combat environment. See also: List of US Army acronyms
    4. Fugazi is a name of a mafia type. Also referred to as Al Capone.
    5. Fugazi is the name of the 1984 studio album of the progressive rock band Marillion. The album has a track of the same name, referring to the meaning under #3.