full English breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.

slavipet

Bulgaria
Hi everyone,

I wonder if the above-mentioned collocation is possible.Is it possible for me to say: "On Saturdays I wake up early and prepare a full English breakfast." Is it understood from the context that this is the traditional English breakfast. I am looking forward to your response.
Thanks in advance!

slavipet

• Loob

English UK
    Yes, definitely!:)

Full English breakfast = bacon and eggs and tomatoes and baked beans. And possibly also fried bread. And black pudding.

Must stop slavering
    Must stop slavering
    Must stop slavering.

Wayland

Banned
    English.
    Yes, definitely!:)

Full English breakfast = bacon and eggs and tomatoes and baked beans. And possibly also fried bread. And black pudding.
    After the weekday toast/cereal the Sat/Sun cooked breakfast in our house was/is: bacon, eggs, sausages, beans, tomato and mushrooms all fried and the fat soaked up by frying a few slices of bread.

I remember my father only ever had just bacon and eggs foregoing what he called "muckment".

Luckily Mother never presented black pudding to table, and I dread to think what he would have said about the modern habit of adding chips or hash browns.

Insert Smiley.

Last edited by a moderator:

Loob

English UK
    I forgot the sausages - aargh!

As for the mushrooms - that's a bit posh...

ewie

English English
    Whenever I'm presented with a full English* which doesn't feature black pudding, I say, "That's not a full English."

Full English breakfast is often abbreviated to full English, at least where I am in the northwest of England.

Mrs Coddlesangers

English-Ireland
    That sounds remarkably like the full Irish breakfast, known affectionately as a "heart attack on a plate".
    It is except
    1. the Full Irish ALWAYS has pudding, black and white. Clonakilty pudding, yum yum, just don't think about where it comes from!!!
    2. Beans really belong on toast at lunch/supper and not as part of breakfast!
    Ahh fried bread I haven't had that in years. Maybe that's why I'm heart attack free ;-)

Wayland

Banned
    English.
    Whenever I'm presented with a full English* which doesn't feature black pudding, I say, "That's not a full English."

Full English breakfast is often abbreviated to full English, at least where I am in the northwest of England.
    Isn't it strange how preferences vary from family to family. My mother was put off black pudding as a child even though it was a favourite of my grandfather ( a Yorkshire miner ) as was I whenever he tried to feed me a morsel of his dinner ( tripe was another gag inducing sweetmeat which I never took to ).

I never heard the term full English breakfast until the 70s and to my mind it was a combination of a cooked breakfast plus cereal and toast "courses".

:) (found that pesky smiley).

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    <Now that we are all well fed, could we please limit the thread to the simple question in the first post, please?>

I wonder if the above-mentioned collocation is possible.Is it possible for me to say: "On Saturdays I wake up early and prepare a full English breakfast."

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Yes, Slavipet, you can certainly say that. But look at the wiki for full breakfast. You can just say 'full breakfast' on its own because there is so much in common between the English, Irish, Scottish, American, etc. full breakfast.

We have this on a Sunday - and I usually call it a full breakfast or a fry-up.

ewie

English English
    Another moderator note: I reckon we've established beyond reasonable doubt that yes, you can say full English breakfast.
    To prevent this thread developing (further) into a discussion of La Gastronomie Britannique, I am now closing it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    < Previous | Next >