Full of zap!

Silver

Chinese,Cantonese,Sichuan dialect
Hi,

Today when I was discussing English with my friend, he told me that if I wanted to say someone is full of energy, I can say zap:

I really admire her, she's so full of zap.

He told me "zap" could replace "energy".

I was surprised by what he said, I've never heard of it. And this is the definition of zap from our dictionary:

a sudden burst of energy or sound, or other sudden dramatic event.

Is my friend's expression idiomatic?

Thanks a lot

• PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    I really admire her, she's so full of zap. This is possible because it is informal

He told me "zap" could replace "energy". Only in certain circumstances.

Is my friend's expression idiomatic? 50-50...

Myridon

English - US
    Despite the fact that it appears as "slang" in a few dictionaries, it seems that there are several of us from several areas who aren't completely familiar with this type of "slang." (It could be regional or outdated.) Given that there are many, many synonyms for "energy" that would work in this sentence (including "zip"), I would recommend not bothering with "zap".

Alxmrphi

UK English
    I think we're all fine in understanding it, interpreting what is meant by it, but it seems none of us are familiar with it.
    To me it's one of those non-words like "She's full of zazz, zing, zip, puzazz, oomph" I don't think people can give a definition for these words as essentially it's just a way to express something by finding a word and people just "getting" the intended nuance.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >