Full-ottoman storage bed

RCLB

Portuguese - Brazil
Hello everyone. What is the name of the bed in the photo? In this bed there is a space where you can store things because they have a space on it, like a trunk. One of the names I found on the internet is "Full-ottoman storage bed". What other names would there be to define this type of bed in English-speaking countries?

Attachments

• 1659952593997.png
    1659952593997.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 22
  • cama-box-bau-casal-preto-colchao-molas-ensacadas.jpg
    cama-box-bau-casal-preto-colchao-molas-ensacadas.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Myridon

English - US
    In American English, an ottoman is a large footstool. There is such a thing as a storage ottoman, but it's not a bed. This is less than 1m square.
    1659990171968.png

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    I have one and I'd call it an ottoman bed. That's what it was called in the shop. An ottoman bed has storage underneath as pictured in post 1. The other type you get here with storage is a divan bed, which just has a couple of drawers in the base - it's better than no storage at all, but an ottoman bed is brilliant for storage.

Andygc

British English
    Likewise in English (England). Our bed shops call that an ottoman.

The divan debate is in another thread, about "box bed".

Andygc

British English
    Then there are under-bed storage boxes. I'd be afraid the mattress would fall on my head and kill me. :)
    Why? The lifting mechanism is balanced with springs. They have been used for years without killing anybody. The storage space in an ottoman is ideal for storing a spare duvet and a few pillows. Much better than cramming stuff into boxes and very easy to access.

Myridon

English - US
    Why? The lifting mechanism is balanced with springs. They have been used for years without killing anybody. The storage space in an ottoman is ideal for storing a spare duvet and a few pillows. Much better than cramming stuff into boxes and very easy to access.
    Your mattresses must be lighter. It doesn't look safe. We don't have them by any name.

Andygc

British English
    The mattresses are perfectly normal. Ours are conventional internally sprung. The springs can be adjusted for lighter mattresses.

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    Apparently Americans in general are afraid of having mattresses falling on their heads. Almost all the 'storage beds' I find with an Internet search have drawers. Searching for 'lift up storage bed' found results under that name --- usually outnumbered by beds with drawers.

I think "lift up storage beds" is what you would have to say for an American audience. I fear the 'ottoman' would just confuse people, for the reason Myridon gives in post #3. And divan would be misleading too.

A related thread: Divan Vs couch

Tegs

Mód ar líne
    English (Ireland)
    I fear the 'ottoman' would just confuse people, for the reason Myridon gives in post #3.
    We have the "ottoman" as a large footstool too, as pictured in 3. There's never any confusion since if you're shopping for a bed you're in the bed section talking about getting an "ottoman base" and you're nowhere near the chairs and footstools :)

Roxxxannne

American English (New England and NYC)
    We stick our heads under the raised hoods of our big monster trucks all the time, absolutely fearlessly. This is not a Henny-Penny phobia about the mattress falling on our heads.
    Don't the blanket(s), comforter (aka duvet), etc. slide in a rumpled mass of bedding to the lower end of the mattress when you raise the other end?

Last edited:

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Just to reiterate that these are spring loaded hinges, to the extent that it’s impossible to close the bed without a mattress. I have one too, and I just call it a bed. Yes, the covers tend to slide down to one end but it’s not storage you use on a daily basis- winter coats, spare duvets, etc.