Full salute

• Focalist

European Union, English
    jacinta said:
    Any kind of salute is military.
    Hmm, I know what you mean, Jacinta, but strictly speaking: no. You forget the power of figurative language. How can I put this delicately..? Try googling for "full salute".

F

DDT

Italy - Italian
    I already tried Google, but after your post I keep on wondering...is a "full salute" a military greeting or not? :confused:

DDT

Focalist

European Union, English
    DDT said:
    I already tried Google, but after your post I keep on wondering...is a "full salute" a military greeting or not? :confused:

DDT
    Well, yes it is. See the mention of the " full present arms salute" on this page. There is also the "full gun salute" which can in principle be fired in honour of anyone, though it is executed, of course, by one section or another of the armed forces.

What I was referring to in my reply to Jacinta earlier was the kind of meaning attaching to "full salute", even "full gun salute", at those sites which are listed on Google but which, when I am at work, I cannot consult because my employer has kindly arranged for a page to pop up saying something like: Category "sex" is filtered. I doubt whether all or even most of the persons figuring in those sites are serving members of the armed forces (although "members" certainly do feature).

F

jacinta

USA English
    Focalist said:
    Hmm, I know what you mean, Jacinta, but strictly speaking: no. You forget the power of figurative language. How can I put this delicately..? Try googling for "full salute".

F

Ha!!! I forgot about a full salute. I didn't google it but as soon as I read your message, I said Oh, yeah, That full salute! Are you talking about the middle finger salute??? That wonderful gesture I see all too frequently??

< Previous | Next >