full spectrum foreign policy cooperation

Ben pan

chinese
Russia will engage in full spectrum foreign policy cooperation with China when dealing with menaces.I'm guessing this is not what Obama administration wanted to hear.
This is a sentence said by a native speaker in a political forum. Do you think the full spectrum foreign policy cooperation is too long as a noun phrase? What do you think is the appropriate word to replace full spectrum? And could I say "Russia will engage in full spectrum of foreign policy cooperation with China..."?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Dexta

English (British and Australian)
    What do you think is the appropriate word to replace full spectrum?

complete or comprehensive.

And could I say "Russia will engage in full spectrum of foreign policy cooperation with China..."?

You need a definite article in there - "Russia will engage in the full spectrum of foreign policy cooperation with China..."

Ben pan

chinese
    Thank you very much, but I want to hear your opinion about the original phrase, do you think it is too long a noun phrase?

Dexta

English (British and Australian)
    Thank you very much, but I want to hear your opinion about the original phrase, do you think it is too long a noun phrase?

Well not for a politician, no.

se16teddy

English - England
    Do you think the full spectrum foreign policy cooperation is too long as a noun phrase?
    Too long for what purpose? As far as I know there is no limit, and even much longer ones are comprehensible, given context. One I enjoyed recently was controlled parking zone permit application form.

Last edited:

Ben pan

chinese
    Thank you for your interesting example. I understand that I went in the wrong direction. :)

< Previous | Next >