Full summer

< Previous | Next >

CelalO

Turkish
I came across this term (or phrase) in this sentence: "Towards the beginning of full summer, accordingly, he found himself compelled to quit the proper seat of war, and to withdraw to Wásit." (SKETCHES FROM EASTERN HISTORY by Theodore Nöldeke, translated by John Sutherland Black)

I could not figure out what "Towards the beginning of full summer" actually means here. Before the summer fully comes - like in April / May (in northern hemisphere) or, towards mid-summer, towards the hottest time (He's talking about war in Basra region in Iraq), or anythin else?

Thanks in advance

• Egmont

English - U.S.
    Where I live, summer technically starts on or near June 21, but really hot summer weather - which one might call "full summer" - doesn't usually start until a few weeks later. Perhaps that's what this means.

However, Nöldeke didn't write "full summer." He wrote something in German. Black then translated it as "full summer." Translations are not always accurate. If you really want to know what Nöldeke meant, you must find the German original and ask a German speaker what that phrase means.

CelalO

Turkish
    Thanks so much. I should have checked the original text before posting. Yes, Nöldeke's word is <...> which is mid summer or high summer. All the best

<German word removed by moderator (Florentia52)>

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >