fully disagree vs strongly disagree

< Previous | Next >

VocabAdam

English
Hi,

I want to use the phrase "fully disagree" as an alternative to "strongly disagree". I can find a few examples on the Internet, but it isn't common. Is this a good alternative?

Thanks

• Copyright

American English
    I would say that it's not. What I do hear is "completely disagree."

Welcome to the forum. :) Because this is your first post, I answered the question based on no context or even a complete sentence. This forum operates a little differently from many other forums and I would like to recommend that you check out the pages on context and guidelines. We're always here to help but we need your help in order to give you the best answers.

nzfauna

New Zealand, English
    To my ears, 'fully something" sounds colloquial. But I imagine that's because the construction became popular with teenagers in my region when I was a teenager. Everything was "fully" this or that.

However:

Fully disagree, totally disagree, completely disagree, wholly disagree, completely opposed, are semantic synonyms for being 100% in disagreement with something.

Whereas "strongly disagree" is not 100% disagreement.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I think it might depend on whom I am talking to, whether opponent or supporter of my own view.
    I fully/ entirely/completely/absolutely agree with somebody who has the same views as me; I totally/ completely/ absolutely/entirely but never 'fully' disagree with the person whose views I oppose. 'Fully disagree' isn't a natural collocation in my personal speech pattern. I can't explain it logically.

Hermione

BenRedfern

English - Australia
    Thanks for your really helpful posts on this.
    I was thinking that disagree and fully disagree are very similar.
    Less than disagree might be partially or somewhat.
    Ben

Hermione Golightly

British English
    Welcome to the forum Ben! I nearly had a heart attack because I had no recollection whatsoever of writing about 'fully dis/agree'! How glad I am that the thread goes back almost seven years. Phew! I haven't changed my mind about that, but these days I wouldn't write ' ... whom ... to'.
    :)

BenRedfern

English - Australia
    Welcome to the forum Ben! I nearly had a heart attack because I had no recollection whatsoever of writing about 'fully dis/agree'! How glad I am that the thread goes back almost seven years. Phew! I haven't changed my mind about that, but these days I wouldn't write ' ... whom ... to'.
    :)
    Thanks Hermione,
    I found these posts very helpful, so many words are used now without thinking of meaning. Than then a country like ours that is miles from anywhere with significant migration since white settlement, we have a lot of colloquialisms.
    What a great forum.
    Thanks and cheers, Ben

< Previous | Next >