<fully expect> the users to dictate...

< Previous | Next >

hhtt

Turkish
"The Homework Help Forum is not a free homework service; we are here to help your understanding, but fully expect the users of this forum to dictate the course of their own learning."

Above sentence is hard for me to understand. Would somebody like to help me understand it?

What does it mean by "fully expect". Is expect there a verb?

Source:PLEASE READ - Posting Questions in the Homework Help Forum

Thank you.

• "We entirely expect" is what it means. 'expect' is a verb. They have very strong and definite expectations on the matter of students directing their own learning. In simple terms, they are suggesting* that they will not do your homework for you. You are in charge and take responsibility; they assist.

*They do not exactly state this, however.

Last edited:

hhtt

Turkish
    Why do they say "The Homework Help Forum is not a free homework service" ? This is like they want money.

Thank you.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    No, it means they will not do you homework for you, for free. They will help you and guide you to do your own homework, for free, but they will not "simply do you homework for you".

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    The last one - about no charge. The effort given by those who help is given without any request for money in exchange. The members who help only expect the users to put in their own effort to do the homework, the members will help.
    In other words a post saying "Please do my homework for me" will not be helped but one saying "I need help understanding this problem in my homework, could you please explain it to me?" allows someone to help, but they do not actually DO your homework for you.

hhtt

Turkish
    The last one - about no charge. The effort given by those who help is given without any request for money in exchange. The members who help only expect the users to put in their own effort to do the homework, the members will help.
    In other words a post saying "Please do my homework for me" will not be helped but one saying "I need help understanding this problem in my homework, could you please explain it to me?" allows someone to help, but they do not actually DO your homework for you.
    Something seems completely wrong to me. Is it is about "no charge" then should not it write "This is a free homework help but we do not do it for you but we help you do it." Does not saying "not free" exactly shows they expect money because as it is "not free" which is contra of "free".

Thank you.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    They say : "The Homework Help Forum is not a free homework service; we are here to help your understanding

A free homework service would DO YOUR HOMEWORK for you with no charge. The site is not one of those.

Do you understand the distinction between
    A: doing you homework for you
    and
    B: Helping you do your own homework

All the help they provide is free but it is only for B and not for A.

hhtt

Turkish
    They say : "The Homework Help Forum is not a free homework service; we are here to help your understanding

A free homework service would DO YOUR HOMEWORK for you with no charge. The site is not one of those.

and

Yes, I now understand %90 but in #5 I listed meanings so does not "provided without charge" mean "provided without money" ?

Thank you.

Julian, maybe I'm a bit cynical, but isn't it possible that "we're not a free homework service" is simply a nice looking disclaimer? But in fact they do not rule out charging for giving some types of concrete assistance.?

In support of my reading, consider the last line.

but fully expect the users of this forum to dictate the course of their own learning."

==

This is rather vague, especially as an explanation. It's quite possible to 'direct' my own learning by asking and paying people to do substantial parts of my homework.

===

and

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    "Provided without charge" means "there is no charge - it costs $0.00". If there was a charge it would cost money.
    If it is free, there is no charge, there is no cost, you do not have to pay.

hhtt

Turkish
    "Provided without charge" means "there is no charge - it costs $0.00". If there was a charge it would cost money.
    If it is free, there is no charge, there is no cost, you do not have to pay.
    But they already says "The Homework Help Forum is not a free homework service". So from your idea there should be a charge and it does not cost $0.00 because there is a "not" in front of "free".

Thank you.

DonnyB

Sixties Mod
    English UK Southern Standard English
    At the risk of complicating things here, there are sites out there which - for a price - will do your homework for you. You supply the details of what you want them to do, pay the fee, and they do it for you.

The point that the Homework Help Forum are presumably trying to make is that they are not a site which provides that same sort of service free of charge. So they expect you to do the work yourself, and they help you with it. They don't do it for you. That's the difference.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    But they already says "The Homework Help Forum is not a free homework service". So from your idea there should be a charge and it does not cost $0.00 because there is a "not" in front of "free".

Thank you.
    You keep misreading it
    IT IS NOT A HOMEWORK SERVICE

The Homework Help Forum is not a free homework service.
    IT IS NOT A HOMEWORK SERVICE (where they do you homework for you) - it is a homework help service and it is free.

Benny, there is no indication that they do provide such a service, so perhaps guilty on the cynical :)

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    At the risk of complicating things here, there are sites out there which - for a price - will do your homework for you. You supply the details of what you want them to do, pay the fee, and they do it for you.

The point that the Homework Help Forum are presumably trying to make is that they are not a site which provides that same sort of service free of charge. So they expect you to do the work yourself, and they help you with it. They don't do it for you. That's the difference.
    Whew - thank you.

It is rather like WRF : a quote below from the EO rules we have all read and thoroughly memorized:D
    Please READ this before you post: English Only Guidelines — forum rules.

Schoolwork / Coursework

Principles
    WordReference forums wish to help members to learn, but are adamantly opposed to doing people's work for them or assisting them in any way to misrepresent their competence.

These forums do not provide free schoolwork. If you want help with a school assignment or coursework, we expect you to do your own work first. Then, and only then, you may post it with a request for help with specific doubts. This forum does not 'polish' homework for you.

See also:
    Proofreading/Text for Correction

Last edited by a moderator: May 11, 2015

hhtt

Turkish
    You keep misreading it

The Homework Help Forum is not a free homework service.
    IT IS NOT A HOMEWORK SERVICE (where they do you homework for you) - it is a homework help service and it is free.

Benny, there is no indication that they do provide such a service, so perhaps guilty on the cynical :)
    Yes, I understand now but do you understand by implication that it is free.

Thank you.

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    No, it is because they do not ask for money on their site:(

The intended meaning of the OP sentence is simply: This is not a free homework service, it is a free homework help service.

(In case you were confused :D it does not mean "This is a homework service site and it is not free")

hhtt

Turkish
    No, it is because they do no ask for money on their site:(

The intended meaning of the OP sentence is simply: This is not a free homework service, it is a free homework help service.
    Oh, if I see this at the beginning, this topic would not stretch? too much.

Thank you.

< Previous | Next >