Fun and Ping

misssmith

Italian
Context:
a woman with a multiple personality is talking with her psychiatrist about the first personality he (the doctor) met. She says: 'You've met her, she's so sensible. It might have taken me hours to set up a fun night, you know, phone calls, clothes, that sort of thing. And I'll be just about to start having some serious fun and ping; she turns up and puts an end to it all.'
Could anybody tell me the meaning of 'fun and ping'?
Thanks a lot.
Misssmith

• anglomania1

UK English
    Sorry, I'd like to help but I can't find anything!!!
    If it isn't a mistake (possible), it may be an AE expression (probable) - maybe later on you'll get an answer from an American!!
    Anglo

london calling

UK English
    Hello!

This should be read as if there were a comma after "fun" - i.e. "fun, and ping" - but you can't write it like that because in English you can't put a comma after "and"!:)

I'd say it means something like this:

Sono lì lì per incominciare a divertirmi sul serio quando si sente un "ping"; arriva lei e pone fine a tutto (il divertimento).

Giusto per spiegarmi un po' meglio: il "ping" è un rumorino! Non so se hai presente la strega Samantha in quel vecchio telefilm americano: quando fa una magia si sente appunto un "ping";).

Spero di essermi spiegata: lascio a te il compito di metterlo in un italiano più decente!:D

Bye!

misssmith

Italian
    Sì, mitico/a London Calling!
    So it's something like 'pof', to announce her appearance. I would have never understood it without you.
    Thanks a lot!
    Misssmith

anglomania1

UK English
    Wow, Londoncalling - I hadn't thought of that!! I think you've got it!!
    As we can't put a comma, maybe a dash would do?
    "... start having some serious fun - and ping! She turns up..."

Anglo

london calling

UK English
    Sì, mitica London Calling!
    So it's something like 'pof', to announce her appearance. I would have never understood it without you.
    Thanks a lot!
    Misssmith

You're welcome!;)

Yes, "pof" is exactly what you'd say (Walt Disney cartoons in Italian.....when the Good Fairy or someone makes her appearance:D!)

Bye, bye!

< Previous | Next >