Fun times always pass by quickly

arueng

CHINESE
Fun times always pass by quickly. After a few days of orientation, school started, and that was when the real battle began.

Hi,
Isn't "time" uncountable? Why does the above use the plural times? Thanks.

• Copyright

American English
    Think of times as circumstances here: fun times, trying times, happy times, sad times, glad times... and The Times They Are a-Changin' (thank you, Bob Dylan).

audiolaik

Polish
    Hello,

I'd say that if you refer to minutes, hours, days, weeks, etc., you should consider the word time uncoutable. However, if the intended meaning is a moment or occasion, then it's countable. Bear in mind the fact that I'm not a native speaker of English, so you'd better wait for some.:)

Audiolaik

Copyright

American English
    I don't think of "times" with the meaning of "occasions" or "circumstances" as a plural of "time."

"How many times have I told you?" is not the same "times" as "We had some happy times together."

audiolaik

Polish
    I don't think of "times" with the meaning of "occasions" or "circumstances" as a plural of "time."

"How many times have I told you?" is not the same "times" as "We had some happy times together."
    Sorry for the confusion, Copyright. What I meant to pinpoint was the contexts in which the word time could be either countable or uncoutable.

Copyright

American English
    Sorry for the confusion, Copyright. What I meant to pinpoint was the contexts in which the word time could be either countable or uncoutable.
    Oh, I was just talking out loud... not reponding to your correct comments. Just musing... I think it was after reading Rover's comments. Just adding to the pool of information or obfuscation. :)

< Previous | Next >