function became 'exploited' for profit.

< Previous | Next >

Goblin0612

Chinese & English
Unfortunately, this Modernist interest in geometric simplicity and function became exploited for profit.

I found this sentence in the book Cambridge Practice Test for IELTS 1 and confused by the word exploit, could somebody help me to explain this sentence in another way?

I know that the meaning of exploit, but when i try to bring the meaning back to the sentence, i get stuck.

Thanks!

• morzh

Banned
    USA
    Russian
    Let's throw away the extras: we are left with "Interest became exploited for profit."

So, some people made money on the Modernists' interest in geometric simplicity.

For example:

"Nostradamus' prophecies are exploited for profit" - read, "people who run TV companies, took Nostradamus' prophecies, and made TV programs around it, drawing people to watch them, and being paid for it by businesses placing commercial with them because of their ratings".

Cagey

post mod (English Only / Latin)
    English - US
    I think your question about the meaning has been answered well.

I have to say, however, that I don't find "became exploited" idiomatic, at least not in American English. I would expect "[were] was exploited" or something similar.

*Edited to correct grammatical error.

Last edited:

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I think "became exploited" is okay, in American English. Here's more of the source text:
    Unfortunately, this Modernist interest in geometric simplicity and function became exploited for profit. The rediscovery of quick-and-easy-to-handle reinforced concrete and an improved ability to prefabricate building sections meant that builders could meet the budgets of commissioning authorities and handle a renewed demand for development quickly and cheaply. But this led to many badly designed buildings, which discredited the original aims of Modernism.
    http://www.ieltspedia.com/teststart.asp?TE_ID=131

Maybe it's an advert.

I understand it more like: the interest(s) of the Modernist movement was abused by capitalists wanting to make a profit

But that's sort of been said.

Goblin0612

Chinese & English
    Let's throw away the extras: we are left with "Interest became exploited for profit."

So, some people made money on the Modernists' interest in geometric simplicity.

For example:

"Nostradamus' prophecies are exploited for profit" - read, "people who run TV companies, took Nostradamus' prophecies, and made TV programs around it, drawing people to watch them, and being paid for it by businesses placing commercial with them because of their ratings".
    Thanks for your explanation. It seems that I got the point: the writer meant that people had been interested in the modern way of building as their simplicity and function at first, but when time flew, they turned to focus the commercial benefit. Am I right?

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Not really. The Modernists' interest(s)* lay in simplicity and function which lead to a culture/industry. Then, capitalists decided it's marketable and "exploited" their ideas, like vultures.

*It's not what people were interested in, but rather the interest(s) of the Modernist movement.

Hmmm ... hard to explain, and I'm sorry if this is confusing. Maybe I'm misunderstanding.

Goblin0612

Chinese & English
    I think "became exploited" is okay, in American English. Here's more of the source text:
    Unfortunately, this Modernist interest in geometric simplicity and function became exploited for profit. The rediscovery of quick-and-easy-to-handle reinforced concrete and an improved ability to prefabricate building sections meant that builders could meet the budgets of commissioning authorities and handle a renewed demand for development quickly and cheaply. But this led to many badly designed buildings, which discredited the original aims of Modernism.
    http://www.ieltspedia.com/teststart.asp?TE_ID=131

Maybe it's an advert.

I understand it more like: the interest(s) of the Modernist movement was abused by capitalists wanting to make a profit

But that's sort of been said.
    The passages which are in the IELTS test are little bit difficult for me to understand. They are British English.

< Previous | Next >