functional/operational company or business

< Previous | Next >

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
Hello, everyone :),
I have a very short question concerning the use of the adjectives in this very context. I think that when a company is operational, but dysfunctional, all of its employees are still working, but there are problems. It is not 100% effective, or at least I think so (not an expert). Can a company be functional, but not operational? According to what I read, that is not likely. If it is not operational, it cannot be used and therefore nobody would be employed. It will neither function, nor will anyone operate it.

That's the only distinction I would like to make between them. Thank you in advance :).

Gandalf

• owlman5

English-US
    To me, a company is "functional" as long as it can function. People whose thinking is affected by the use of "dysfunctional" in psychological language might use "dysfunctional" to describe an organization in which most of the employees are miserable. I sure wouldn't expect perfection from an organization before I called it "functional."

I'm not sure I've ever had an occasion to use "operational." If I did use that adjective, I'd use it to mean that something could be operated successfully.

GandalfMB

Bulgarian - Yellow Beach
    To me, a company is "functional" as long as it can function. People whose thinking is affected by the use of "dysfunctional" in psychological language might use "dysfunctional" to describe an organization in which most of the employees are miserable. I sure wouldn't expect perfection from an organization before I called it "functional."

I'm not sure I've ever had an occasion to use "operational." If I did use that adjective, I'd use it to mean that something could be operated successfully.
    Yes, exactly. I just wanted to make sure that I am using it correctly. Thank you so, so much, owlman5.

< Previous | Next >