Fundéu - Fundación del Español Urgente

Discussion in 'Spanish-English Vocabulary / Vocabulario Español-Inglés' started by Horned Owl, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Horned Owl

Horned Owl Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    The name of the organisation Fundéu stands for Fundación del Español Urgente. What does urgente mean in this context?

2. ampurdan

ampurdan Senior Member

jiā tàiluó ní yà
    Català & español (Spain)
    I guess they want to convey the idea that the Spanish language needs urgent help to prevent it from falling into decline:

3. imcbronson Member

Huesca
    Español
    Hello:

Fundación patrocinada por la Agencia Efe y BBVA, asesorada por la RAE, cuyo objetivo es el buen uso del español en los medios de comunicación.(from www.fundeu.es/manual-espanol-urgente.html
    Foundation. With the sponsorship by Agencia Efe (Press) and BBVA (bank), advised by RAE, with the aim of doing a right use of the Spanish language in the media.
    The word urgente is part of the name of that foundation, and it means that they are in a hurry on the Spanish language defense.

4. ampurdan

ampurdan Senior Member

jiā tàiluó ní yà
    Català & español (Spain)
    I'm sorry Imcbronson, but I don't think it means that they are in a hurry to do anything. It's just that under their point of view, the Spanish language needs urgent attention.

5. Horned Owl

Horned Owl Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    Thank you very much, Ampurdan and Imcbronson.

6. donbeto

donbeto Senior Member

Vancouver (Canada)
    Eng (Canada)
    Áctually, urgent means exactly that, you are in a hurry.

7. ampurdan

ampurdan Senior Member

jiā tàiluó ní yà
    Català & español (Spain)
    As I see it, the fact that a patient is in urgent need of an operation does not imply that it is convenient for doctor to operate them in a hurry.

8. drugo Senior Member

Madrid, Spain
    Spain, Spanish
    Urgente means 'urgent' in English, certainly, but in this organization, that operates within Agencia Efe, the official Spanish news agency, relates to the urgent need of the journalists to have quick (urgent) answers to their linguistic doubts before they publish their chronicles.

9. Horned Owl

Horned Owl Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    Thank you very much for the explanation, Drugo; now I understand.

10. euphemism_treadmill

euphemism_treadmill Member

Área de la Bahía
    Inglés norcaliforniano
    This has always felt to me to be a tough one to render naturally in English, but I've always thought of it as the "Foundation for Emergency Spanish," cf. urgencias. As mentioned above, the name comes from fact that journalists need quick answers to their dudas about Spanish usage, avoiding compromising, for example, clunky or overly literal translations from English-language news sources for reasons of expediency.

11. Horned Owl

Horned Owl Senior Member

India
    India - Hindi & English
    Euphemism_treadmill, thanks a lot for the links, especially the first one. The BBVA press release explains it well when it says:
    and