funky

< Previous | Next >

Mr Bones

España - Español
Hello, I can't quite understand the meaning of funky in the following excerpt. Could any one of you help me, please?

When he finally gets an investigation launched, Serpico is cynical about it: “A few funky cops thrown to the wolves to protect [the fictional commissioner] Delaney and those guys who’ve known about this shit for years and won’t do a fucking thing about it "(The Guardian).

Thanks a lot,

Bones

• Loob

English UK
    It's just that there are three WR English dictionaries, and two of them have more than one definition;).

Dermott, are you sure about that "offbeat"/"quirky" definition fitting Bones's context? It really doesn't seem to, to me:(.

dermott

B.E. via Australian English
    Stupid WR dictionaries! :mad: As you say, there's no reference to bad or corrupt, and I've never heard the word used to describe same either. I was looking at offbeat and odd in terms of off the straight and narrow. Maybe stretching things, I'm not sure.

Sparky Malarky

English - US
    I would have picked the meaning "to have an offensive smell." Funky originally meant - and still can mean - smelling bad. These slightly corrupt cops who were "thrown to the wolves" have a bad smell, metaphorically, because they are slightly dirty or rotten.

Karkas

Spanish-Venezuela
    Hello everyone,

I found the word "funky" in a different context and I'm trying to understand its meaning too. Two women and a man are sitting down in the living room of one of the women's house; the man an her are boyfriend and girlfriend. The two women are talking but the man is quiet and looks grumpy; in fact, they tell him that. He only says he's tired and he has a headache, which doesn't seem true, he just doesn't feel like talking. His girlfriend offers him some pill for the headache, but he says he's just going to go home, and actually leaves just like that, no hug, no kiss to his girlfriend, just says thanks.

After he leaves, they talk about it and his girlfriend says she understands him because when she doesn't feel good she's not in a good mood either. Her friend then says, "Funky Van" (his name). This didn't have a pejorative tone, was said with kind of a friendly voice. I'm failing to undersand the meaning of it. I need to translate it to Spanish, but first I need to understand.

Thank you very much.

Loob

English UK
    It might help if you told us the name of the programme*, Karkas. Without that, I'm afraid I have no idea:(.

Karkas

Spanish-Venezuela
    It might help if you told us the name of the programme*, Karkas. Without that, I'm afraid I have no idea:(.
    Sorry, I thought it would be enough. You can find it in YouTube, actually, by the exact name "I'm going to steal her man | MALIBU SURF Season 5 EP 3" The words are said exactly at 02:54, but the scene that has the whole context starts at 01:30.

Thank you very much.

Myridon

English - US
    He's acting "offbeat, odd quirky" (definition of funky from link above) in part because he feels bad, but also because he's Van. They seem to think he's always a little odd (in a likable way).

kentix

English - U.S.
    The idea is sort of:

"That's Van acting funky, like he sometimes does."

She then says:

"I don't like Van when he's not feeling good."

So he doesn't always act that way.

pachanga7

English - US
    What comes to my mind is the phrase “to be in a funk” which means to be in a bad mood, that is, more distracted or sad than to be angry. Here it could mean that he is odd but, loosely speaking, also refer to his mood.

< Previous | Next >