funny and entertaining

wolfbm1

Polish
Hello,

"Here is a Romantic Comedy which centers around the un-Romantic Comedy subject of adultery. (...) The film has a few "flat" spots, but also has a handful of classic scenes. The late Gilda Radner is great as the poor innocent girl who gets caught in-the-middle of Theodore's gambit. Still, this is certainly not the funniest or most-entertaining RC film I've ever seen."

<< Source: Amazon.com: D. Roberts "Hadrian12"'s review of The Woman in Red. (Title: "Don't get caught cheating!") >>

As far as I am concerned, 'The woman in Red' is very funny and entertaining. The main character, Theodore, strives to get the attention of a very charming woman in red, but he is already married to a very jealous woman.

I wonder if those two adjectives mean the same thing.
I think that 'funny' can mean 'amusing' and 'comical', but 'entertaining' means just 'amusing'. Am I right?

I have just seen a very entertaining clip, in which a very obese and a bit clumsy man dances with a woman in a very energetic way, and almost looks like Michael Jackson. It was a bit funny, but mostly amusing. I had a lot of fun watching it.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    The review as a whole may or may not be entertaining, but it contains some bizarre usage and punctuation.

I find "funny and entertaining" odd. If it's funny, that means it's enjoyably humorous, one way in which a movie can be entertaining. "And entertaining" sounds as if the writer thinks they're two separate qualities.

wolfbm1

Polish
    The review as a whole may or may not be entertaining, but it contains some bizarre usage and punctuation.

I find "funny and entertaining" odd. If it's funny, that means it's enjoyably humorous, one way in which a movie can be entertaining. "And entertaining" sounds as if the writer thinks they're two separate qualities.
    I should have included the adjective amusing in the title of this thread. Is 'entertaining' a larger concept than 'amusing' or they are equal. If so, then "funny and amusing" sounds odd too.

< Previous | Next >