funny time

< Previous | Next >

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

It is hard for me to understand "funny time" in this context. I assume it should be "fun time":

Interviewer: What time do yo usually get up?

Scott: At eight thirty at night. Then I eat breakfast at nine.

Interviewer: That's a funny time for breakfast!

Scott: Yeah. After than, I usually exercise at about ten twenty.

Source: English textbook compiled by Chinese.

• JamesM

As a side note, sometimes the word can be confusing for native speakers as well. I've often heard or said "Funny 'ha-ha' or funny 'strange'?" to get clarification of the intended meaning.

Sun14

Chinese
    As a side note, sometimes the word can be confusing for native speakers as well. I've often heard or said "Funny 'ha-ha' or funny 'strange'?" to get clarification of the intended meaning.
    Do people often say that? I searched the Ngram and found fun time are much more frequently used.

JamesM

Do people often say "funny time"? Not as much as some other phrases. It's perfectly clear to me. It means "that's an odd/strange time to have breakfast." "That's a funny way..." is probably more common. "That's a funny way to show it" is probably much more common.

Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    Sun, "fun time" means something totally different from either of the two possible meanings of "funny time". Google results are therefore totally meaningless.

Fun time : an enjoyable period
    Funny time (1) : a strange period
    Funny time (2) : a period for laughing - note that this is very different from "enjoyable", even though most of us enjoy laughing

< Previous | Next >