furniture.

mimi2

vietnam vietnamese
Hi,
Is there a difference between " a piece of furniture" and " an article of furniture" ?
Thanks.

• maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    I would see "an article of furniture" as an item on its own, say a table or a dresser. "A piece of furniture" could encompass anything from a table or dresser to one part of a suite of furniture, say one of eight dining room chairs, or one armchair of a set comprising two armchairs and a sofa. "Piece" tends to be used for "bits" of something.

DavyBCN

UK - English
    The use of "bits and pieces" together is also quite common, such as - I need a few bits and pieces of furniture for my new apartment.

A completely different meaning - I'm in bits and pieces - meaning I'm distressed/very stressed. To which some unsympathetic person may reply - "Get your act together!" or "Pull yourself together!" Nothig to do with the original question.:)

Sallyb36

British UK
    - I'm in bits and pieces - meaning I'm distressed/very stressed.

We would say I'm in bits, but not I'm in bits and pieces, only in bits

paulochine

CHINA CHINESE
    I never heard 'article of furniture' before,usually,we even say:a piece of article,so you figure it out! hahahaha

se16teddy

English - England
    There's not much difference, but 'piece of furniture' is much more common. I think you would only see 'article of furniture' in, say, something formal like an inventory.
    I agree: if you say 'article of furniture' you are trying to make it sound rather grand, probably because you are trying to sell it. 'Article' is a fancier word than 'piece'.

< Previous | Next >