fury versus rage

danel32

Estonian - Estonia
I'm translating one series about WWI. One of the episodes is titled "Fury" the other one is "Rage".

Question is, what is the main difference of these words? I can not translate them with same word and want to know main difference. Please help.

• kentix

English - U.S.
    What is each episode about?

There is so much overlap in those two words I don't think you'll find an objective answer. For instance, I think of rage as indicating someone more out of control, where fury is more controlled anger. But that sounds like the opposite of what Keith said.

danel32

Estonian - Estonia
    What is each episode about?

There is so much overlap in those two words I don't think you'll find an objective answer. For instance, I think of rage as indicating someone more out of control, where fury is more controlled anger. But that sounds like the opposite of what Keith said.
    Fury is the first episode, about preceding's of the WWI. Rage is third episode, about the war hostilities.

kentix

English - U.S.
    To me, that makes sense. For me, fury/furious is more inward. Before the war, anger was building and building into contained fury. After the war started, that fury was released and expressed as open rage (actual fighting).

Remember, it's all figurative. A society can't really be "furious" but the idea is still understandable.