Futile inspections

vitony

Greek
Καλησπέρα σε όλους,

Πως μεταφράζονται στα Ελληνικά οι λέξεις "futile inspections" στην παρακάτω πρόταση;

lf this obligation is not complied with the Employee is liable for the penalties imposed
on the Employer by the UWV and/or the tax authorities because of this failure and for the amounts
charged to the Employer in case of futile inspections by the working conditions service.

Ευχαριστώ εκ των προτέρων για την βοήθεια.

• vitony

Greek
    Ευχαριστώ πολύ για την υπόδειξη Acestor. Κάπως έτσι το μετέφρασα και εγώ (άκαρπες επιθεωρήσεις). Όμως φαίνεται να μην βγαίνει νόημα από όλη την πρόταση. Υπέθεσα μήπως ήταν κάποιος νομικός όρος επειδή πρόκειται για μετάφραση σύμβασης εργασίας.

Helleno File

English - UK
    Ευχαριστώ πολύ για την υπόδειξη Acestor. Κάπως έτσι το μετέφρασα και εγώ (άκαρπες επιθεωρήσεις). Όμως φαίνεται να μην βγαίνει νόημα από όλη την πρόταση. Υπέθεσα μήπως ήταν κάποιος νομικός όρος επειδή πρόκειται για μετάφραση σύμβασης εργασίας.
    The complete quotation isn't easy to understand as a native speaker. It had seemed to me that it came from some sort of contract so your clarification is helpful.

The phrase "fruitless inspections" on its own is deceptively simple, however. There can be a discussion about whether έρευνα or επιθεώρηση translates "inspection" better. I think the latter is more usual, and my understanding is that έρευνα is more thorough, also including the meaning "search". There is no clue in this piece of text as to what is being inspected, and another part of the document may be a better guide. Bear in mind contracts are written every day with vague phrases like "fruitless inspection" and lawyers make a lot of money out of interpreting them.

vitony

Greek
    Thank you very much for your remarks Helleno File. Indeed the sentence is a fragment of a paragraph of an article dealing with employee obligations in an employment agreement. The complete paragraph is as follow:
    "The Employee is obliged to communicate each change in respect of his personal situation (name, address, marital status, etc.) to the Employer in writing at least 2 days before the change in question takes effect.lf this obligation is not complied with the Employee is liableforthe penalties imposed on the Employer by the UWV and/or the tax authorities because of this failure and for the amounts charged to the Employer in case of futile inspections by the working conditions service."
    Thank you in advance for help.

Helleno File

English - UK
    So the inspections could be "futile" because they cannot be carried out because of lack of information from the employee...? I think I understand but futile would not be the first word I would choose in English. But such is the wording and the translator's job is to reflect the reality and not to attempt to "improve" it.

< Previous | Next >