Future forms

bladi

Polish
Hi, could you please explain the difference between these sentences?

1) I take this exam tomorrow.
2) I'm taking this exam tomorrow.
3) I'm going take this exam tomorrow.
4) I'll be taking this exam tomorrow.
5) I will take this exam tomorrow.

Thanks.

• tepatria

Canadian English
    They all mean the same thing but #3 should be "I'm going to take...". We have many ways of saying the same thing in English so you choose the one you prefer. #1 is less formal than the others.

bladi

Polish
    Thanks for your answers. I made a mistake in #3, I hadn't noticed it before.
    I know how the future tenses work (in theory), but I wanted a more detailed explanation regarding those sentences (the concept of taking an exam tomorrow). It would help me if you could add some more information to each sentence so I could see in which context and how exactly they can be used. Thanks.

Rain_UK

Italian
    Actually, those sentences are identical in meaning and would not make any difference to English native speakers.
    The forms going to and will are interchangeable, whereas the present simple form must be used only when you are fixed up to do something [an arrangement, a plan].

Of course, #4 is a variation of the form will. It just differs to the normal form because you are specifying the time of the action.

The first sentence is the least formal.
    The second one, according to me, is the best one.
    The third sentence is wrong. It ought to be - I'm going to take this exam tomorrow.
    The four sentence is a variation of the form will, which is written out in the fifth sentence.

In any case, in my opinion, I would say
    I have got this exam tomorrow.

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    The sentences all have the same meaning. You can use any of them (after making the necessary correction to #3) at any time.

Cross-posted.

bladi

Polish
    Thank you all guys for your invaluable help. It's really useful to know how all those grammar nuances are seen by native speakers.

< Previous | Next >