future subjunctive

< Previous | Next >

jonny1047

English, England
Hi eveyone,

I am trying to write my opinion of a text and am not sure about the future subjunctive. I have been told that phrases such as 'sea lo que fuere' are appropriate for written texts as this is supposed to be written formally, but I'm not sure if it is to formal to use it written text outside of a set phrase.
the phrase I'm trying to write is:
"Will (the generations of the future) need the TV to give them ideas, to be their imagination?"

My attempt is:
"¿Las hará falta que la televisión les diere las ideas, que fuere su imaginación?"
or should it just be 'de' and 'sea'?

thanks very much for any help that can be provided

Jonny

• walkiria

Argentina, español
    Hi eveyone,

I am trying to write my opinion of a text and am not sure about the future subjunctive. I have been told that phrases such as 'sea lo que fuere' are appropriate for written texts as this is supposed to be written formally, but I'm not sure if it is to formal to use it written text outside of a set phrase.
    the phrase I'm trying to write is:
    "Will (the generations of the future) need the TV to give them ideas, to be their imagination?"

My attempt is:
    "¿Las hará falta que la televisión les diere las ideas, que fuere su imaginación?"
    or should it just be 'de' and 'sea'?

thanks very much for any help that can be provided

Jonny
    Necesitarán (las futuras generaciones) de la televisión para que les dé ideas, para que sea su imaginación?

micafe

Spanish - Colombia
    cool, thanks very much!
    All this subjunctive stuff is just too complicated for english speakers - or me at least!
    The Future Subjunctive is hardly ever used anymore. Certainly not in the spoken language. You might want to learn to recognize it because it's still sometimes used in Literature. But you don't need to learn how to use it. Most Spanish speakers don't.

The Future Subjunctive has been replaced most of the times by the Present Subjunctive.

;)

Dudu678

Español (España)
    The Future Subjunctive has been replaced most of the times by the Present Subjunctive.
    Sorry, I disagree again. You are going to hate me today. :D

Can you give us some examples?

Yo creo que se sustituye mayoritariamente por pretérito imperfecto de subjuntivo, y aunque en la lengua hablada no se usa, en la escrita no creo que esté tan en desuso. Simplemente es algo culto. ¡Es un tiempo que a mí me encanta!

Snubby

I can't even find listings of conjugations for the future subjunctive in the standard verb conjugation textbooks we gringos use (such as the popular "Big Red Book of Spanish Verbs", for example). Seems textbooks have even stopped teaching this grammar form.

Dudu678

Español (España)
    Bien, veo el ejemplo. Gracias.

Pero insisto, imperfecto de subjuntivo me parece otra opción en según qué casos. No voy a decir que más habitual para no pillarme los dedos. Recuerdo una que puse en algún otro hilo hace poco.

Si yo muriere, él heredará todo.
    Si yo muriera, él heredará todo.

Saludos.

Snubby

Si yo muriere, él heredará todo.
    Si yo muriera, él heredará todo.
    So, would these be translated:
    "If I were to die, he will inherit everything."
    "If I died, he will inherit everything."
    I'm still trying to get the drift of the Spanish future subjunctive.
    They mean about the same in the English translation (though for the first sentence we would probably say "... he would inherit everything", using the conditional instead of the simple future tense).

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    so in the type of sentence I posted originally is there any way to use the future subjunctive - I am supposed to be learning to write 'culto'!
    No, it would be incorrect to use the future subjunctive in that sentence.

< Previous | Next >