gaffer

< Previous | Next >

Lady.Trinity

Spanish Argentina
Hi! I have to trnslate this for a press kit. And I can't find the meaning foe gaffer. Any suggestions?
We were also very lucky because we had a terrific and very experienced camera crew and a great gaffer, Jim Plannette,” says Ford.

• Hi! I have to trnslate this for a press kit. And I can't find the meaning foe gaffer. Any suggestions?
    We were also very lucky because we had a terrific and very experienced camera crew and a great gaffer, Jim Plannette,” says Ford.
    The term has various meanings, but in the context of film in the US, he is not a real electrician. Some texts describe the gaffer as "head of the electrical department" but this is misleading and incorrect, partly because historically lighting workers in film were and are called "electricians" but this was merely slang -- these workers were not technically qualified to perform electrical installations that now require licensed professional electricians.

The gaffer is the guy who designs and manages the lighting and the associated power supplies for the lighting for the cinematographer.

Aunque dicen que el gaffer is el jefe de los llamados "electricistas" es argot -- realmente aquellos "electricistas" solo operan las luces para las escenas, de hecho en los EEUU los gaffers que no tengan licencia de electricista ("licensed electrician") por ley no son autorizados a ejecutar el trabajo electrico -- pueden enchufar y desenchufar las luces, colocar y modificar las luces, pero tocar los alambres y conexiones electricos por dentro, jamás.

In BE gaffer means boss, in any context.
    True enough. But the original poster was looking for the meaning within the film production context, and translating gaffer = jefé would not be accurate.

The suggestion of dinis for luminotecnico seems to be a reasonable description and translation.

I noted on this site that the person is credited as follows:

Fernando García Luminotecnico/Gaffer

http://corto-short.blogspot.com/2009/10/universidad-de-la-sabana.html

saludos

< Previous | Next >