game changer

< Previous | Next >

Saritdiisraele

Israel, hebrew
What is a "game changer"?

"Looking back on it, they all agreed: Iowa had been a game changer."

Game Change: Obama and the Clintons, McCain and Palin, and the Race of a Lifetime by John Heilemann and Mark Halperin.

• Sepia

High German/Danish
    Don't you think the ones you mention all changed the character of election campaigns in their own special way? To could be what they mean. And about Iowa - in your place I'd check what happened there during the campaign.

sdgraham

USA English
    "Game changer" is an American (at least) sports reference/metaphor.

It refers to something that happens to change the expected outcome of the game.

If a star player is injured during a game and the trailing team surges ahead, for example, that event could be called a "game changer."

(Politics, after all, is something of a sport in some respects :D and the reporting thereof can be rife with sports metaphors)

Sepia

High German/Danish
    Not only that, but it is normal practice that journalists pick expressions from other fields to paint a picture of the situation. Oops, I just did the same thing too.
    I couldn't imagine journalists writing in any language not doing that.

Saritdiisraele

Israel, hebrew
    Got it guys! I have to say that's not simple at all the English metaphors I have to break my brains with each third word but I like it ...

< Previous | Next >