Games during our childhood/traditional ones

Discussion in 'Cultural Discussions' started by cute angel, Mar 26, 2008.

1. alexacohen

alexacohen Banned

Santiago de Compostela
    Spanish. Spain
    Mariquitas.

My great-granny played with them, and my granny, and my mother, and myself.
    And my children.

Anyone collected stickers (cromos)?

2. Topsie

Topsie Senior Member

Avignon, France
    English-UK
    Paper dolls - my sister & I spent hours designing clothes for them! We also made furniture from matchboxes, yoghurt cartons etc. for our trolls' house!
    Kids these days aren't so creative (sigh!)

3. Etcetera

Etcetera Senior Member

St Petersburg, Russia
    Russian, Russia (St Petersburg)
    Paper dolls were very popular when I was a kid. There were whole kits with one or two dolls, a lot of dresses, and sometimes there could also be a set of furniture (cardboard, of course).
    My sister had such paper doll, too, but she didn't like it as much as "real" dolls.

I did.:) I had two albums for stickers - Barbie and Tom & Jerry, and a few years later I bought one more - it was an album dedicated to Russian music stars. In the 1990s, almost every kid had such an album.

It seems that such albums are still sold, but they aren't as popular nowadays as they used to be some 10 years ago. Neither my sister nor her friends have such albums.

4. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    In my youth coffee was packed in bags of 500 grams and there was (for some important reason, I guess) a cardboard card, about 3 x 3 inches, with rounded corners, on top of the coffee. In the mid-fifties a coffee company got the idea of printing car pictures on those cards. Very soon every boy collected these cards, and I know that there was serious quarrels in the families if the parents preferred a coffee brand without car cards.

Other coffee companies followed, but the first company also published an album where the cards were glued, and they promised a fair prize for anybody who had the album full. They were clever enough to print some pictures far less than others, so in the end everybody was missing the same cards. I remember that one of the rarest pictures was Ford Crown Victoria of model year '55, the one with glass roof. These rare cards were sold between kids in high prices. Otherwise, one could get the cards only by buying coffee.

5. Topsie

Topsie Senior Member

Avignon, France
    English-UK
    My brother collected Brooke Bond cards in special little albums! I'd forgotten all about them! (They're probably worth a fortune now!)
    The boys also made (and played with) Airfix models a lot!

6. Topsie

Topsie Senior Member

Avignon, France
    English-UK
    Yes, but they were ready-made! We drew & cut out our own!

7. Hakro

Hakro Senior Member

Helsinki, Finland
    Finnish - Finland
    Those 50-year-old coffee cards are today sold at 5 to 10 euro a piece.

8. Topsie

Topsie Senior Member

Avignon, France
    English-UK
    Wow!!! I'm talking about late 60s/early70s, tho', so perhaps they're not worth as much as that!

9. Zsanna

Zsanna ModErrata

Hungary
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Kids' activities can be fruitful in many ways! :)

Just one - seemingly - counter example:
    I collected paper serviettes (until I found a bit more intellectual passtime) but only really decorative "stuff". (It was not for the sake of collecting, rather another way of expressing my "decorating inclinations" because I did not hesitate to do "improvements" on some of the serviettes I had...)
    The nicest was a Chinese or a Vietnamese sort which was all white (but already the paper was special - or it seemed to me) and pattern was imprinted into it with scenes of village life and nature.
    Even though I liked it as it was, I found out that it was big fun colouring lightly some of the figures on it - I could spend hours doing it in different ways...

10. alexacohen

alexacohen Banned

Santiago de Compostela
    Spanish. Spain
    Yes, that was the trick.
    Some stickers were sold here inside chewing gum packets. One of the subjects was "female dresses through the centuries", beginning with Eve and ending with the flower children.
    Ever girl chewed gum like mad, but no matter how much gum one chewed, there was one dress that was never to be found: Eve's.

11. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    A few we used to play when I was young and I don't think have been mentioned yet:

Origami birds, paper airplanes, rubberband balls, cut-out dolls in a row (lots of different designs), paper snowflakes, folding a paper football and "kicking" it (by thumping) over a "goalpost" (someone else's hands held high). Dominoes ("sniff"), and cards: Old Maid, Go Fishing, Authors.

We played "house": the houses were outlines made by rows of rocks (large stones), and "families" lived in them. Great for role-playing. I thought it was interesting that sweeping the ground seemed to make it cleaner.

We played "adventure". Mostly make-believe. We made trails through the little forest around the schoolyard, and the different types of vegetation, the creek, the rocks, the ups and downs and winding trails, all were sites of the various adventures: hunting the dragon, recuing the damsels in distress, being chased by the child-eating witch, ... an endless series of whatever adventures kept us all amused.

One of my favorite games, "Marco Polo", required a lake or swimming pool.

12. vittorius New Member

Chile
    Chilean Spanish
    A very good one for outdoors is called "nations". Before starting this game each player has 3 lives and need to chose a country or nationality, after this one guy in the middle of the group throw a ball up and says just the name of any nationality involved. Everybody begin to run away but the person who hear the nation which previously has chosen run trying to catch the ball and if he can so, has the right to throw the ball again and says another nationality, if he doesn’t (i.e. the ball touch the floor) he says "stop" and nobody can keep moving, then the guy who has the ball is allowed to do 3 jumps from the place he caught it and he will try to hit someone. If the ball touches anybody, the hit person lost one life; in the opposite case the person who threw the ball lost his own

I hope you enjoy it!
    Carlos

13. Sarasaki Senior Member

Bangalore
    India - English & Kannada
    I am just back from the pool and was pleasantly surprised to see this game being played by a group of boys! May be a new import, nevertheless, it is played here too!!

14. Esca

Esca Senior Member

ATX
    USA - English
    I loved the "broken telephone" game--we called it "Whisper Down The Lane" where I grew up, but I think the more common American name is "Telephone."
    Other "talking" games include "I Spy" and "Twenty Questions."

I don't think "Duck, Duck, Goose" has been mentioned: the players sit in a circle, and the person who is "it" walks around and pats everyone on the head as they go by, saying "Duck, Duck, Duck..." until they pat someone on the head and say "GOOSE!" Then they run around the circle and the "Goose" has to tag them before they can sit down in the empty spot.
    Speaking of which, musical chairs is a classic children's party game, as is Pin the Tail on the Donkey.
    Nobody has mentioned Capture The Flag, either, or Freeze Tag (when you're tagged, you can't move until someone "frees" you).

I saw fortune-tellers go by, but we also would play hangman (try to guess a mystery word), tic-tac-toe, and other paper games.
    At school, kids would play Dodgeball, and also a game called "Wall-Ball" by bouncing a ball against the wall... I never played that, so I don't know the rules!

During my childhood, there were fads like collecting stickers, and playing various games where you tried to collect something ([Magic] cards, "Pogs" (cardboard discs), or plastic pieces) and would try to win them from your friends. The hand-clapping games were huge as well.

Most of the time, though, my sister and I would dress up, play with Barbies, Legos, etc, play fantasy games, build forts, and make scavenger hunts, among other things.

At parties we would always play this game (could it be called a game?) where a person would lie facedown on the floor, and someone else would pull the person's arms up and hold them there for a long time. Then they would slowly lower the arms to the ground, which gives the person the sensation that their arms are going through the floor.

15. Topsie

Topsie Senior Member

Avignon, France
    English-UK
    We had various "sensation" games too - one was "room-go-round", you had to spin around (sitting or standing) as fast and as long as possible, and when you stopped you had the impression that the room was spinning around you! There was a strangling game called "le jeu du foulard" in France a few years ago, it made headlines when a child died. Some of these types of games can be really dangerous... but kids always try to push things to the limit, that's all part of growing up!

16. susantash Senior Member

Montevideo
    Español de Uruguay
    Here in uruguay we played practically all the same games as in spain, which is not strange at all considering our origins as a spanish colony.
    Las escondidas, teléfono descompuesto, la bolita (marbles); all the ones that spanish members have mentioned, but maybe some with different names. For example the "it" game here was called "la mancha" or "el manchado" and every time "it" touched a person he or she called out "mancha!" and that person "la queda" (has to be "it").
    We also play duck duck goose here. (pato ganso. we call it the same but in Spanish)
    The game about turning the print outs that were face down also exists here and we call it "la tapadita"

17. anothersmith Senior Member

Los Angeles
    English, U.S.
    We played most of the games that have been mentioned. One that hasn't been mentioned is "Marco Polo," which you play in a swimming pool. One kid wears a blind-fold. He shouts out "Marco!" and then all the other kids shout "Polo!" He keeps repeating this until he can find and touch one of the other kids. Then that kid puts on the blind-fold, and the game repeats.

18. susantash Senior Member

Montevideo
    Español de Uruguay
    I've just remembered; There's a game that we used to play with my brothers when we were children, which I think was invented by one of them. (Maybe he got the idea from somewhere else, but I don't know of anyone else who played it)
    It was called "ni sí ni no" (neither yes nor no), and it consisted in one of us asking questions to the others -obviously yes or no questions, who couldn't answer using yes or no. The thing is that at that time we obviously didn't think about language and there's something in spanish that makes it quite easy to lose in this game, and it is the fact that "yes" and "if" are said practically in the same way. one is "sí (with an accent)," and the other one is "si"(no accent). Of course they are considered different words, but for us at 10, 8 and 5 years old, it was the same word, and therefore if you said it you lost.
    It was really fun for me and my brothers!:)
    I wonder if it was really their creation.

19. rainbow84uk Senior Member

Barcelona
    English, UK
    Really interesting to see how similar games are around the world! I played almost all the ones mentioned, and many more: wink murder, bob-down tig, scarecrow tig, ball games like time-bomb, donkey or sevensies (which might have been the wall game maybe?), the farmer's in his den, and more card games like snap and slam.

Also one Spanish game not mentioned is Sopapo (Slap) which the kids have played in the swimming pool at every summer camp I've worked at here. It consists of a bunch of kids keeping a ball up in the air, shouting 'so!' on the first touch, 'pa!' on the second, and then on 'po!', the ball is slammed down into the water aimed at one person. If it manages to hit them, the rest of the kids crowd round giving them (gentle) slaps! Very fast, with lots of dodging, shouting and splashing!

20. Sherlockat

Sherlockat Senior Member

Australia
    Castilian (Patagonian)
    La Silla Musical: Musical chairs

Poner la cola al burro: Pin the tail on the Donkey

Prueba del Huevo: Egg-and-spoon race

Tirar la Cuerda: Tug-of-war

Piñata: Piñata

La Momia: Musical statues

Llevar al hapa: Carry Piggyback

Caballito de Bronce: Buck-buck (aka "Johnny on a Pony")

Las escondidas: Hide-and-Seek

Jugar a la brisca: playing brisque

La gallina ciega: Blindman's Buff

Las bolitas: Marbles

El columpio: Swings

Saltar la cuerda: Jump rope or skipping rope (BrE)

La capacha: The slammer

El run-run: Give-and-take game

El trompo: Spinning top

El emboque: Ball and Cup

Palo ensebado: Greased Pole (or stick)

Cara y sello: Heads-or-tails (tossup of a coin)

Cachipun: Rock-Paper-Scissors

La rayuela (El tejo.): Pitch-and-Toss

El Pillarse: Playing to Catch Someone

El Luche: Hopscotch

El ahorcado/quemado: Hangman

Gato: Tic-tac-toe

La payaya: Knuckle-bones

Corre el anillo: Pass-the-Ring

Encumbrar el volantin: Flying kite

El Rodeo: The Rodeo

Corre, Corre la Guaraca: Run- run Guaraca

Quien fue a Melipilla..: Who-went-to- Melipilla- lost-the-seat

Al Gallito: The Arm-wrestle

Carrera de Sacos (Ensacado): Sack Race

Prueba de Gincana: Obstacle course

Hacer patitos en el agua: Skipping Stones/ play ducks and draques.

21. Red Arrow :D

Red Arrow :D Senior Member

Dutch - Belgium
    How are these games called in English? :D

WHO'S AFRAID OF FAT BERTHA?

You have to play this with at least 20 people or so. Two persons (the fat Berthas) are standing in the middle of the field. The others are standing on one side of the field. The duo screams: "Who's afraid of fat Bertha?" and the others say "Not meeeee!!" and have to cross the field. The two persons have to lift as many of the group as possible. If you're lifted, you also become a fat Bertha.

You win if you're the last person who isn't lifted.

ONE, TWO, THREE! PIANO!
    Person X (random name) is standing on one side of the field, everyone else is standing on the other side. They have to cross the field, but they have to stand still like a statue every time person X turns around. If X sees you're moving, you have to get back. You know X will turn around when he says: "One, two, three! Piano!"

You win if you're the first who can cross the field.

And let's not forget origami fortune tellers :D

Last edited: May 9, 2017
  22. Topsie

Topsie Senior Member

Avignon, France
    English-UK
    This looks like Grandmother's footsteps!

23. AutumnOwl Senior Member

-
    Swedish
    I remember something similar at the school yard, but it involved the person facing the wall to tell those wearing a certain colour to take a number of steps forward or backward, the steps could be normal, ant, giant, jump or some other kind of steps.

I also remember collecting and exchanging "Victorian scraps", bokmärken - Sök på Google and these "ess", chrisleklada.blogg.se - Manicklar

Also playing with Barbie dolls, I had one doll looking very much like this one but with chestnut hair, and I also owned the green dress she is wearing. Barbie docka med kläder och tillbehör | Stockholms Auktionsverk Online

Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
  24. Cheburator

Cheburator Senior Member

Russian - Russia
    We played a game the name of which could be translated as "the 12 little sticks". It's played outdoors, usually in a forest, and is a bit like Hide-and-seek in this variation:

...the seeker counts at "home base"; the hiders can either remain hidden or they can come out of hiding to race to home base; once they touch it, they are "safe" and cannot be tagged. Hide-and-seek - Wikipedia

But with a difference: the seeker ("it") has a small seesaw (just a small board put on a small log) at the homebase and "it" has to put 12 sticks on on one of its sides. When "it" finds a hider, "it" runs to the seesaw, calls the name of the hider and hits on the empty side of it, making the 12 fly about all over the homebase. The found hider becomes "it" and has to find all the 12 sticks and put them on the seesaw before starting counting. But that's only part of it! Any hider can approach the seesaw (usually unobserved by the seeker) and hit on it (shouting something to the seeker to make him notice this unleasant fact), thus making the seeker come back to the homebase and look for the 12 sticks again. And the hider who has just been found still has a chance not to become "it" - he/she has to run up to the seesaw faster than "it" and hit on it before "it" does. If the found hider succeeds in it, "it" has to continue his role after getting the 12 sticks back on the seesaw.

25. snarkhunter

snarkhunter Senior Member

France, Région parisienne
    French - France
    We used to play a very similar game at school, during playtime. But instead of patting a player on the head, "it" would drop a handkerchief behind a player's back as quietly as possible and keep moving around. If he could walk a full circle without the other player noticing he had been "tagged", then the "tagged" player would become "it" and a new round would begin. But if he noticed, then he would start chasing "it" and try to catch him before "it" could sit at the free spot left by the tagged player.

But I'm no longer sure what this game was called in French.

Trading "Panini" stickers to try and fill-up the latest album published was also in fashion!
    I myself never completed any and always ended up with huge sets of duplicates!

Oh... and that "Grandmother's footsteps" kind of game is called "1, 2, 3, soleil" in French: That's what the player facing the wall keeps repeating a number of times before he eventually turns back to spot any moving player.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  26. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

Connecticut
    English - US (Midwest)
    Mother, may I?

That, red rover, red light/green light, tag (regular, statue, and shadow), and duck, duck, goose were the games we played most often.

27. RM1(SS)

RM1(SS) Senior Member

Connecticut
    English - US (Midwest)
    Blind mans' buff -- and I have seen it played by adults.

28. snarkhunter

snarkhunter Senior Member

France, Région parisienne
    French - France
    ... This game is called "le jeu du mouchoir" (The Handkerchief Game) or "le jeu de la chandelle" (The Candlestick Game).