gang (group of friends)

Encolpius

Hungarian
Hello, what do you call gang in other languages? It is an informal word and I bet you use it often in other languages as well. The dictionary says gang is a group of friends who meet regularly. Thanks.

Hungarian: banda [like the English band]
Czech: parta [like party]

King Crimson

Modus in fabula
Italiano
I don't know if I'm being influenced by "gangster" movies, but to me the term "gang" has a criminal connotation;). At any rate, if we limit the discussion to the definition you gave I think in Italian we could just say "gruppo (di amici)" or "banda" (especially for youngsters).

AndrasBP

Hungarian
Lithuanian:

chebra (ch as in German "ich") - of Yiddish origin, from a Hebrew word that is also the root of the Hungarian colloquialism haver (= friend).
būrys - from the verb burti (= join, come together)

ThomasK

Belgium, Dutch
Dutch: bende (French bande, Italian bandiera), though that might sound a little pejorative ; een groep (a group) might be better.

The bende seems to refer to the flag they were carrying, like a banner or banderole (little flag, I guess). I also explains bandit, Dutch bandiet, … The word "band" refers to binding but it used to constitute some kind of "binding sign", a sign referring to a bond, as well, is suggested in etymologiebank.nl. The "sign" meaning might even be one of the older meanings, as in pgm *bandwjan-, coming to refer to some kind of flag for example..

I would like to hear more about the origin of some of the above expressions…

Last edited:

Yendred

Français - France
Dutch: bende (French bande, Italian bandiera), though that might sound a little pejorative
Indeed, in French, we use bande for a group of friends. It may also have a pejorative connotation, depending on the context. The word tribu (tribe) seems to have also an increasing popularity, but it often also includes the close relatives. We may also simply use the expression "groupe d'amis" (group of friends).

Sardokan1.0

Sardu / Italianu
I think that "Bandit" is also related to the verb "to ban".

In Italian "Bandire" = to ban

The past participle is "Bandito" which means both "banned" and "bandit"

So "Bandit" = banned -> outcast -> outlaw

bibax

Czech (Prague)
In Czech the noun parta (f. < Lat. pars f., probably via German die Partei f.) is mostly associated with boys (parta kluků or klukovská parta = a gang of boys), parta holek or holčičí parta (a gang of girls) is much rarer. In most cases it has no criminal connotations, the boys like to form gangs. Then they often wage "war" against another gang (like les garçons de deux villages, Velrans et Longeverne, in "La Guerre des boutons").

Last edited: