Ganged hook - Use and meaning

James Brandon

Senior Member
English + French - UK
I was checking the term "a ganged hook" and have found several references to it on the web, but they all appear to relate to Australia and regulations regarding the type and size of hooks that are allowed in certain areas.

"Gang hook" is also used and may be different from "ganged hook", if I go by the sketches and photos I have seen.

Gang hook -

Ganged hook - Can't find the photo I had stumbled across but it showed a string of hooks interlinked to one another, whereby each hook is linked to the next one, as if in a chain.

Is this term used only in Australia? If so, what is the term used in British (or American) English?

  • french4beth

    Senior Member

    A "ganged hook set" is now defined in the Regulations as being one hook when the ganged hook set consists of no more than 6 hooks, each of which is in contact (by the point of 1 hook being threaded through the eye of another, or joined by a swivel or wire) with at least 1 of the other hooks in the set, used to attached 1 piece of bait intended to catch
    only 1 fish.​
    Here is a picture I found while googling.​

    Could the American term be jugline? See here

    James Brandon

    Senior Member
    English + French - UK
    "Ganged hook" seems to be derived from the idea, quite simply and literally, of "a gang of hooks", i.e. "a string of hooks that are linked to each other", with each one linked to the next. I have looked at "jugline" and that's a bit different.

    The picture of a ganged hook that I found earlier on (and which I have not been able to dig up again) showed hooks attached to each other, not to a chain or line - the hooks themselves formed a sort of chain. Pretty nasty!

    All the references appear to relate to Australian regulations regarding fishing near the barrier reef in this and that part of the country.
    < Previous | Next >