Garanzia legale, convenzionale

tsoapm

🇬🇧 English (England)
Hi all,
Formare i partecipanti sui diritti (Garanzia legale, convenzionale e gesti di correntezza commerciale) e le aspettative dei Clienti.
This is part of a training module for customer service staff. Based on a combination of half-remembered terminology, hunches and browsing, I think it should be:

(statutory and manufacturer’s warranty and goodwill)

…but I can’t find solid references for it. Can anyone help? “Goodwill” seems like a strange thing to put under the heading of diritti, but I expect that’s it.

Thanks
Mark

• Formare i partecipanti sui diritti (Garanzia legale, convenzionale e gesti di correntezza commerciale) e le aspettative dei Clienti.

Hi Mark, I don't know the English legal terminology, so I don't make any attempt, but garanzia legale should mean "warranty enacted by provision of Law" (the two parts cannot agree against it; if they do in a contrat the clause is not valid). Garanzia convenzionale is the warranty as it is agreed upon in the contract (the two parts can agree differently in the time to come). Suing for breach of law is obviously a stronger defense than suing for breach of contract, so the garanzia legale is much stronger. Garanzia convenzionale obviously ends up with being manufacturer's warranty, because it is the manufacturer wich set up the clauses that the buyer simply agree upon, but the logical distinction remains, in my opinion.

Edit: sorry for cross posting Bill:) I had errands to do while posting...
    It seems that your implied warranty is quite the same concept as garanzia legale in Italy, in fact!

Scusa anche tu Benzene! Tu conosci la terminologia inglese sicuramente meglio di me!

Last edited:

tsoapm

🇬🇧 English (England)
    Thanks all!
    Hi Mark, I don't know the English legal terminology, so I don't make any attempt, but garanzia legale should mean "warranty enacted by provision of Law"
    My Hoepli says:

statutory - imposto o ammesso dalla legge

So my attempt still seems like a good fit to me. In the absence of a UK reply, and since it sounds right to me, I think I’ll stick with it for the moment.
    ethical [business] conduct
    business ethics
    I’m a bit surprised by these suggestions. Does correntezza have an ethical meaning as well then?
    The meaning seems to be that of "customary concessions" - could that work as a translation as well ?
    I’m not sure it works as a translation, but the concept appears to be that expressed by “goodwill” to me; like a discount that the customer is not entitled to, but given anyway as standard practice per fare bella figura and avoid losing them to the competition. “Goodwill” is all over my translation memory in any case, so I think I’ll have to keep it.

Last edited:
    Thanks all!My Hoepli says:

statutory - imposto o ammesso dalla legge

Good to know, I didn't know, thank you!

Does correntezza have an ethical meaning as well then?

I have just realized that there is a typo in your OP. It is correttezza commerciale, not correntenza commerciale. And correttezza commerciale precisely means business ethics. I am not sure how the concept of goodwill could be translated in Italian business practice at this point... I'm afraid we presume there is none of it to be concerned for...:(

Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    I have just realized that there is a typo in your OP. It is correttezza commerciale, not correntenza commerciale. And correttezza commerciale precisely means business ethics. I am not sure how the concept of goodwill could be translated in Italian business practice at this point... I'm afraid we presume there is none of it to be concerned for...:(

I thought so too, but there's no typo, if anything it's a 'reado' :). Try to google "correntezza commerciale" and you will see how they use it and what exactly it means in Italian.

Sorry Mark, it's my ignorance here!
    I think it is a relatively new concept for Italy this correntezza commerciale. I had to check on Google to understand it:eek:.
    Correttezza commerciale is much more common and standard for us, this is why I got it wrong, I'm sorry...
    I assume correntezza commerciale was created as a translation of goodwill, so you are perfectly right.

You are teaching me English and Italian at the same time Mark, not bad! And for free!:)
    Thank you:)

Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    Qui http://www.vsci.ch/xml_1/internet/it/application/d168/d270/f436.cfm lo spiegano cosi' :

Correntezza è un termine generalmente utilizzato per designare le concessioni reciproche dei partner contrattuali dopo la stipulazione del contratto. Essa comprende in particolare la garanzia di prestazioni nell'ambito delle riparazioni e dei servizi su base facoltativa per i beni commerciali una volta che sono scaduti gli obblighi di garanzia legali o quelli stipulati su base individuale.
    In ambito economico si tratta di una misura di fidelizzazione dei clienti: anche se non vi è obbligato, chi concedente di correntezza ritiene opportuno soddisfare il proprio cliente che ha avuto un problema per mantenerlo come cliente e poter fare affari con lui anche in futuro.

Se per esempio un'automobile subisce un danno al motore nel 25° mese dopo l'acquisto, l'obbligo legale di riparare il danno è scaduto. Tuttavia, per evitare di far arrabbiare il cliente, il commerciante d'automobili, d'intesa con il costruttore, liquiderà il danno con una certa correntezza. È però possibile che il venditore e il costruttore non si assumano tutti gli oneri che coprirebbero nel caso in cui il caso fosse liquidato entro i termini di garanzia.

Insomma, mi pare proprio : " Concessions exceeding the expressed contractual obligations ".

What I do not understand is if we are talking about ' industry standards/customs ' or concessions that are allowable by a specific Company.

If the former, it would be something like ' customary concessions ', if the latter, perhaps ' allowable concessions ' that it is in the CS associate's power to grant, or that are available by escalating the issue to higher levels of authority within the Company.

tsoapm

🇬🇧 English (England)
    If it’s any help, this module is intended for the Customer Care Manager and the Site Manager. I think they would have the discretionary power (spero di non parlare a sproposito!) required without bringing escalation into it.

N.B. If it makes you feel any better, chip, feel free to buy me a beer next time you’re in the Diocese of Reggio Emilia-Guastalla! :D

Last edited:

Odysseus54

Mod huc mod illuc
    Italian - Marche
    Oh, yeah - at that level they should have the key to the box with the goodies. Is this training for a specific Company, or generic CS training ?

tsoapm

🇬🇧 English (England)
    It’s perfectly reasonable, but not something I’ve ever heard. I don’t find "allowable" a particularly agreeable word. I’d opt for a synonym: permissible, acceptable, admissible. Probably not the last one, actually.