garbage burner?

Camlearner

Khmer
Hi

What do in English we call workers who burn rubbish or garbage . I guess i should call them garbage burner? but I'm afraid the word burner make people think about machine for burning or microwave...:D

In my country,we have garbage collector who transport garbage to garbage field, then at there we have people like garbage burners to wait there to burn the collected garbage.

Thanks

• In AE, the equipment used to burn trash is called an incinerator. I don't know of a special word for the people who operate them; I would just call such people "incinerator workers," or - more likely in informal speech - "the guys at the incinerator plant." (Regulations to reduce air pollution have all but eliminated incinerators in most places in the US, so it's not an expression that's called for very often these days.)

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Camlearner, If I assume your country to be Cambodia, there may or may not be incinerator plants in some areas. In that case, "garbage/trash burner" sounds fine to me.

MJRupeJM

USA
    English- U.S.
    Hi

What do in English we call workers who burn rubbish or garbage . I guess i should call them garbage burner?
    That's okay I think. "Workers who burn garbage" would also work. We don't really have an equivalent profession, so you want to be descriptive.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I was thinking along those lines, besides your own "garbage burner" (and I suggested "trash burner"), you could also consider: garbage/trash ignitor

A very interesting question, Camlearner! I am glad you are in the forum.

perpend

Banned
    American English
    I can't say for sure, but I think it's different, and we have to use incinerators.

In the countryside, where my parents live, you can start garbage/trash on fire, but that is nothing like the "profession"/"action" that you describe.

Camlearner

Khmer
    Ah... here my trash burner or garbage ignitor get paid (but of course not high salary because the job not need big degree)

perpend

Banned
    American English
    Well, it's still a job, no matter if a big degree. The conditions are of course different between our two countries.

Everyone has a job to do! :)

As perpend says, in some rural areas individuals can still burn trash, but in most places trash is collected and delivered to a landfill (which is essentially a big hole in the ground), where it is buried. Some specific kinds of refuse - medical waste, for example - are burned in incinerators, and some cities may still burn municipal trash in incinerators. However, nowhere in the US, to the best of my knowledge, are large quantities of trash burned in the open. Doing so would be often be illegal because of concerns about air pollution and toxic smoke. That's why your question has been interesting, Camlearner. There is no equivalent job in the US to the one you describe in Cambodia. That makes it more challenging to come up with the right name for the person who does the job. I think your original "trash (or garbage) burner" is the best.

Last edited:

Camlearner

Khmer
    Ah... I understand more now. Thanks a little edgy. Yeah here poor...so people don't care much about standard or pullotion air. They just care about food. So burning trash to get paid to buy food. Authorities who allow to burn trash without any standard ISO check also get paid. Like perpend said. The conditions are of course different between our two countries. Ok I think I get my answer about the word now. A little away with off-topic now.

< Previous | Next >