Garbage like empowerment isn't a substitute for hard work."

street_princess

Turkey, Turkish
Hello all,

I need to do a case analysis presentation and the following paragraph is from my book (New Era of Management, Richard L. Daft). (It is about the empowerment decision of a company.) The CEO declares that a new empowerment campaign will be started. Somebody says:

"Just another pile of corporate crap. One minute they try downsizing, the next reengineering. Then they dabble in restructuring. Now Martin wants to push for empowerment. Garbage like empowerment isn't a substitute for hard work and a little faith in the people who have been with this company for years. We made it great once, and we can do it again. Just get out of our way."

What does he mean when he says empowerment is not a substitute for hard work and a little faith? Does he mean that hard work and a little faith are what are really needed for the company and empowerment will not provide that?

Thank you.

• George French

English - UK
    He is pointing out that the latest buzzword doesn't mean anything.

Words do not replace hard work and it demonstrates that there is little faith in the current employees..

GF..

Or, cut out the crap.... :tick:

Last edited:

street_princess

Turkey, Turkish
    Thank you George. To make it more clear for me again, when you say "words do not replace hard work" what does it mean? Does it mean "words are pointless, talking is not the same thing as working"?

George French

English - UK
    The problem in this case is the sentence "Now Martin wants to push for empowerment."

The definition of empowerment in the WR dictionary is

empower/ɪmˈpaʊə(r)/
    verb give authority or power to; authorize.
    give strength and confidence to.– derivatives empowerment noun

It's just another buzz word for doing your job..... doing the things that you are authorised to do. :)

GF..

Copyright

American English
    It's a little awkward, but perhaps this will help:

A garbage/useless word like "empowerment" isn't a substitute for hard work ...

The speaker is not objecting to words, he is objecting to one very particular word: empowerment used recently within the last 5-10 years by managers, who do have power, to their employees who do not.

It has become very trendy and fashionable, and has no true meaning, and in fact is irritating because, while the managers have already fired people and cut down production, instead of coming to the people who have remained and saying something real and sincere, like, "we know times have been rough, and we've had to make difficult business decisons, and may have to again, we appeciate your loyalty and hard work..." they are launching ridiculous campaigns for the workers, "hey, you have power, we are empowering you, look into yourselves and see what you can do to give yourselves the ability to work hard..."

It's like coming down out of the management clouds, and pasting little smile signs on the deserted desks of people already fired, and then going back up into the clouds instead of really speaking plain English and getting involved with the workers who are already working hard, and it is a bitter thing to hear such foolishness as "you are empowered" when they the workers have no power at all.

If they really wanted to empower the workers, managers would invite them to start giving advice and share opinions, or offer employees shares of stock in the company.

Last edited:

street_princess

Turkey, Turkish
    Thank you copyright, and thank you very much Dale Texas. Your comment didn't only help me understand the meaning of the sentence but also gave me a business class! So you've really helped, ty.

< Previous | Next >