Garbage mine

Garin

Czech - Czechia
Hello, everyone,

OK, this one comes from The Simpsons book so the odds are high that this is just a nonsensical expression but still I want to ask the native speakers to be 100 per cent sure.
The story is told by a naval captain and is about:

"...a garbage scow sailing from the mighty garbage mines of Newark..."

Is "garbage mine" a common expression or a nonsensical one? Is it something like a "garbage dump"? Or is it really a nonsence, a mine where the garbage is mined?
Please, let me know.

• ewie

English English
    I think it's just a bit of fanciful nonsense, Garin. Maybe Newark (New Jersey?) is renowned for its ..... well, garbage.
    There's enough garbage on the surface of the earth already, without us having to mine for it;)

Brioche

Australia English
    It could be interpreted as recycling.

The scow is transporting garbage from a garbage depot to be processed/recycled.
    It's rather like taking ore from a mine.

Thus the heap of garbage in Newark functions like a mine.

It is not a common expression.

Harry Batt

USA English
    It is humor. I don't know where to place it in that category. However, the effect is pronounced. By substituting mine for "mighty garbage supply" the reader has to realize that the supply of garbage in Newark is unusual.

dijw

US/English
    New Jersey does indeed have a reputation of being a polluted, garbage filled state -- especially among residents of neighboring New York State.

Barges often carry New York and New Jersey's millions of tons of garbage elsewhere; these "garbarges" take the refuse to places where more landfill space is available. I think the author is trying to romanticize, in a very sacarstic manner, this practice.

Hope this helps

< Previous | Next >