Garde-robe pointue

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Jackson88, Dec 12, 2012.

  1. Jackson88 Member


    In a fashion related article would "Grade-robe pointue" translate to "specialized ward robe" ?

    Thanks in advance
  2. petit1 Senior Member

    français - France
    It is strange to see "pointu" when speaking of clothes. We usually use it when we speak about a field of studies or something like that.
  3. Nanou2706

    Nanou2706 New Member

    It depends on what do you mean using "specialized" term. Can you precise the context a little bit more ?
    I would simply say "garde robe spécifique"
  4. Jackson88 Member


    Here's a little more context on the term.
    "On ignore plus souvent que ce génie de la littérature française était aussi un dandy très soucieux de son apparence et doté d'unegarde-robe très pointue"
    "We most often ignore that this French literature genius was also a dandy extremely concerned about his appearance and equipped with a wardrobe POINTUE"
  5. pointvirgule

    pointvirgule Senior Member

    Mtl, QC
    langue française
    Here, pointue probably means de pointe (« qui est à l'avant-garde du progrès ») → at the leading edge of fashion?
  6. Jackson88 Member

    Thanks so much for your help.

Share This Page