garden away from house [allotment / garden plot]

KennyHun

Hungarian
Hello there fellow forum dwellers,

I know Americans often have a front yard and a back yard attached to their homes (if indeed it's a family home in suburbia and not an apartment downtown or another type ouf housing unit) and that a garden is usually an area within the backyard with a smaller plot of vegetables for instance.
But - and I don't know whether this is at all common in the US - if you have a separate plot of land somewhere else used for growing vegetables and/or fruits, would you/could you refer to this as a 'garden' ?(My grandparents have one of these a few miles from where they live, there is a relatively large plot of land on the outskirts of town parcelled up, with the separate parcels, only a few hundred square feet each, sold to separate owners.)

Thanks! :)

• Copyright

American English
    We rented one of those when I was fairly young ... fortunately, not for very long. :p

I think we called it a garden plot.

Loob

English UK
    Hi KennyHun

Just to say - in BrE we would call your grandparents' parcel of land an allotment:
    Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::

allotment /əˈlɒtmənt/n
    1. the act of allotting; apportionment
    2. a portion or amount allotted
    3. BRIT a small piece of usually public land rented by an individual for cultivation

JulianStuart

English (UK then US)
    This extensive thread Garden or yard?
    deals with the title of this thread (even has pictures:)) but I just realized the issue here is the name for an allotment, and it's been answered. I'll leave the link if people are interested in the general AE/BE discussion of the title;)

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    We rented one of those when I was fairly young ... fortunately, not for very long. :p

I think we called it a garden plot.
    We did that for a few years whilst living in a rental. (Now we're buying our own home and can have a garden in the back yard.) We just called it the garden.

Copyright

American English
    We did that for a few years whilst living in a rental. (Now we're buying our own home and can have a garden in the back yard.) We just called it the garden.
    Yes, I would call it a garden on my own property. If I wanted to be specific, and distinguish it from the flowerbeds, I would call it a vegetable garden.

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Within your own front or back garden, you can certainly have a vegetable garden, vegetable plot or a vegetable patch. (I think that's correct for BrE.)

Li'l Bull

Spanish (Spain)
    Hi KennyHun

Just to say - in BrE we would call your grandparents' parcel of land an allotment:
    Collins Concise English Dictionary © HarperCollins Publishers::

allotment /əˈlɒtmənt/n
    1. the act of allotting; apportionment
    2. a portion or amount allotted
    3. BRIT a small piece of usually public land rented by an individual for cultivation
    I would like to know if an allotment is always rented in BrE. Can you buy one and still call it 'an allotment'? All the dictionary definitions I've found include the idea of renting, as opposed to owning a piece of land.

Thank you in advance :).

Loob

English UK
    Interesting question, Li'l Bull!

I'd say that the concept of "being granted something by another person" is inherent in the words allot and allotment.

So yes, I would expect an allotment (in the "piece of land" sense) always to be rented.

Hermione Golightly

British English
    I'm sure that an 'allotment' is rented from the community, the local authority. The land is not owned by the individual. If the rent is not paid or the land is not cultivated, the 'holder' loses their right to it.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    In AE, it doesn't matter where it is located, who owns it or rents it, how it is allocated, etc. There are words for all those things too. But the word "garden" in AE means "an area of dirt, where flowers or vegetables are grown".

In AE, most people call land adjacent to their home a "yard". If it is growing grass, it is a "lawn". Sometimes a portion of the yard is a garden, and another portion is lawn.

I've heard some people (BE, I think) call a yard (land next to a home) a "garden".

Loob

English UK
    Doji, we're talking in this thread about a piece of land that isn't "adjacent to the home".:)

Li'l Bull

Spanish (Spain)
    Doji, we're talking in this thread about a piece of land that isn't "adjacent to the home".:)
    Thank you, Loob. Therefore, what do you call (in BrE) "a piece of land that isn't adjacent to the home" and that is owned, not rented? Maybe "kitchen garden" / "vegetable garden"?

By the way, if the piece of land has both vegetables and fruit trees, is it still a vegetable garden? Is there an expression for that?

Last edited:

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    What do you call (in BrE) "a piece of land that isn't adjacent to the home" and that is owned, not rented? Maybe "kitchen garden" / "vegetable garden"?
    A plot. Usually with a descriptive adjective or phrase:
    "He's got a vegetable plot in the far corner of the field where he keeps the sheep."
    "His wife grows herbs in a plot about 100 yards from his house."

If it is somewhat bigger than normal, it might be called "a patch of land". (After this, it becomes a field.)

< Previous | Next >