gardener's heart beats in your chest

< Previous | Next >

miriam91

Slovak
Hello,
I would like to ask if there is a metaphor in English that says that you are really keen on doing <something>.
Can I say: "a gardener's heart beats in your chest" when someone really likes gardening?

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • boozer

Bulgarian
    I do not know if you can say it, but if you said it to me, I would surely, beyond any doubt, understand it the way it was meant. :)

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    OK, native speaker here, and if you said it to me I would also understand what you meant. In fact I'd find it rather charming and poetic, so I wouldn't discourage you from using it at all. That said, because it sounds rather literary you wouldn't often hear it in everyday speech, and there's a slight risk of it being taken as a little ironic (because it's poetic).

If the subject is gardening, you could use the well-known expression "You have green fingers", but that's only for gardening or growing house-plants.

You might say "Gardening [or whatever] is in your blood" or "You're a born gardener [or whatever]", but those expressions refer more to innate or 'inherited' talent, rather than to a passion for something.

There's "You're hooked on gardening [or whatever]", which says that you're very keen (literally addicted), but not necessarily that you're talented.

Sorry, miriam, I'm going around the subject without finding anything ideal. Maybe someone else will come up with something better. Meantime, I see no real problem with that heart beating in your chest.:)

Ws:)

Last edited:

cycloneviv

English - Australia
    There is a perhaps a little old-fashioned and literary English expression along the lines of "within X's breast beats the heart of a Y", meaning that at heart, despite all outwards appearances to the contrary, X is a true Y.

From The Smile at the Heart of Things by Brian H. Peterson:

Barry Snyder is a smallish man in his mid-sixties, with a quiet, self-effacing manner and overflowing white hair that often frames a day or two's worth of gray stubble. Underneath this unlikely exterior beats the heart of a child.

From The Man of My Dream by Curtis Sittenfeld:

Under your prim exterior, I'm sure there beats the heart of a lusty animal.

From The Wolf's Heart by Jenna Leigh:

Beneath the wickedly handsome and debonair exterior, beats the heart of a true computer-loving nerd.

Wordsmyth

Native language: English (BrE)
    Maybe: You are a gardener at heart.
    Yes, though for me that's used mostly in comparison with something you would rather not be doing: "He's driving buses for a living, but he's a gardener at heart"; or something that falls short of your desires: "I know you have to make do with window-boxes since you hurt your back, but you're really a gardener at heart". It's a bit like cycloneviv's X and Y: "Within the bus driver's breast beats the heart of a gardener".

Ah, and there's another 'heart' expression: you could say that the bus driver's heart isn't in it (... or isn't in his job).

Ws:)

< Previous | Next >