gargle and rinse

DwiLia

Indonesia
somehow, in English we say rinse your mouth with salt water. but somehow the use 'gargle your mouth with salt water'. are they different?

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    Rinsing is a kind of washing: you wash out your mouth. Gargling does that too, but makes a loud, continued noise that I can't reproduce here: a sort of ghar-ghar-ghar-ghar. :)

But we don't use an object with 'gargle': we don't :cross:gargle our mouth.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    I don't think you mean "somehow", I think you mean "sometimes".

We do not say "gargle your mouth with salt water.", we would say 'Gargle your mouth with salt water'. :tick:

JamesM

Yes, you could rinse your mouth without gargling. Gargling is usually done by getting a small mouthful of liquid, tipping your head back, closing off your throat and then "bubbling" air through the liquid without swallowing. It bathes the back of the mouth and the top of the throat in the liquid, which won't usually happen if you just rinse.

shop-englishx

Banned
    Urdu
    Hello, native-speakers.:)

I have seen Muslims when performing ablutions, put some water into the mouth and use index finger to move onto their teeth, also move this water to-and-fro and then throw out. I think this action isn't "gargling", because they don't take the water up to the throat - nor do they produce the ghar-ghar-ghar sound. This action is somewhat between rinsing and gargling. What to call this action?

You little ripper!

Australian English
    Hello, native-speakers.:)

I have seen Muslims when performing ablutions, put some water into the mouth and use index finger to move onto their teeth, also move this water to-and-fro and then throw out. I think this action isn't "gargling", because they don't take the water up to the throat - nor do they produce the ghar-ghar-ghar sound. This action is somewhat between rinsing and gargling. What to call this action?
    Putting water into the mouth and rubbing their teeth with an index finger would be a form of cleaning. Swishing the water around in their mouth and spitting it out would be called rinsing.

Last edited:

Boy Jorge

Filipino - Philippines
    Rinse is different from gargle precisely because you can rinse your mouth (clean it with water, other liquids, etc.) but you can't gargle your mouth. You gargle something else, but the gargling action is done in the mouth. The mouth cannot be the object of the gargling. The mouth is only the place where the gargling takes place.

shop-englishx

Banned
    Urdu
    Putting water into the mouth and rubbing their teeth with an index finger would be a form of cleaning. Swishing the water around in their mouth and spitting it out would be called rinsing
    Thanks.:) I'm looking for one word that describes the whole process which you have just named as cleaning and rinsing. Is there one you know of?

Packard

USA, English
    Wiki covers this very well under "ritual purification".

They offer up "ghusl" and "wudu".

See: Ritual purification - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[...]Ritual purification takes the form of ablution, in a lesser form (wudu), and greater form (ghusl), depending on the circumstance; the greater form is obligatory by a woman after she ceases menstruation, on a corpse that didn't die during battle and after sexual activity, and is optionally used on other occasions, for example just prior to Friday prayers or entering ihram.[...]

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >