Garrafón

< Previous | Next >

Cactor

Spain - Spanish and Catalan
Hi. I would like to know how to translate the word "garrafón" to English.

In Spain, garrafón is a drink that has been adulterated with methyl alcohol, reducing its quality, and causing the drinker a lot of sickness and hangover the next day. Bars sometimes sell this adulteraded drinks in order to reduce costs and increase the profit at the expense of the drinker's health.

• goodoldave

English - USA
    Hi. I would like to know how to translate the word "garrafón" to English.

In Spain, garrafón is a drink that has been adulterated with methyl alcohol, reducing its quality, and causing the drinker a lot of sickness and hangover the next day. Bars sometimes sell this adulteraded drinks in order to reduce costs and increase the profit at the expense of the drinker's health.
    Hola,

I'm not sure if this applies, but I'm a chemist and in the US, ethanol mixed with a small amount of methanol is technially called "denatured alcohol". This is to keep it from being consumed and rather used for industrial purposes.

Dave

Last edited:

lcuadrosf

Spanish from Colombia
    Hola,
    I am thinking about “watered-down liquor”. I understand that moonshine is illegal but it is different than altering a high quality drink. What do you think?

Cactor

Spain - Spanish and Catalan
    Ok, maybe that definition was too technical.

Simply put, garrafón is a drink that has been "refilled" with a lower quality drink. So if I ask for an Absolut vodka, they fill my glass with a bottle of Absolut vodka filled with a cheaper vodka.

Sometimes garrafón is just used despectively when talking about a cheap, low quality drink that you know it's going to have side effects the next morning.

goodoldave

English - USA
    Ok, maybe that definition was too technical.

Simply put, garrafón is a drink that has been "refilled" with a lower quality drink. So if I ask for an Absolut vodka, they fill my glass with a bottle of Absolut vodka filled with a cheaper vodka.

Sometimes garrafón is just used despectively when talking about a cheap, low quality drink that you know it's going to have side effects the next morning.
    Hola,

How about "rot gut" (cheap) liquor?

Dave

Last edited:

bluepolaris

Spanish-Spain
    Hi goodoldave,

"Rot gut" could be translated as "purrela" or "matarratas" into Spanish to refer to any low-quality alcoholic drink. Sometimes I heard the term "spiked drink", but I´m not sure of the exact meaning. What do you think about it?? Could it be an adulterated drink?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >